Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Emancipation of Robert Sadler: A Book Review

About The Book:



A Gritty, Raw Real-Life Tale That Will Both Shock and Inspire You

So many thoughts twirl in my head...I want to think back as far as I can remember--think on things I had long ago buried and let stay buried. There were things I never told anyone. Now is the time to tell it, though. Help me remember it, Lord, so I can tell it just the way it was.

Over fifty years after the Emancipation Proclamation, Robert Sadler was sold into slavery at the age of five--by his own father. Originally published in 1975, this is the no-holds-barred tale of those dark days, his quest for freedom, and the determination to serve others borne out of his experience. You won't forget this poignant true story of good triumphing over evil, of God's grace, and of an extraordinary life of ministry.


About The Authors:

Marie Chapian is a Christian counselor and author or coauthor of more than thirty books, including the bestsellers Telling Yourself the Truth and Free to Be Thin. She founded Marie Chapian Ministries in 1982 to teach and equip the body of Christ. She lives in Southern California.
Robert Sadler (1911–1986) was born near Anderson, South Carolina, in 1911. He was sold into slavery at the age of five and escaped at fourteen. Eventually he moved to Ohio but traveled extensively sharing the gospel and ministering to others at every opportunity.

My Review:

The Emancipation of Robert Sadler is one of the hardest books I have had the opportunity to read in a while. It was a beautifully written, yet heartbreaking to read about the life that Robert Sadler lived as a youngster in the height of the slave trade. To read about his life had me in tears, yet I ended up crying joyful tears as I read of his ministry later in life. Slavery is still going on strong in today's society and The Emancipation of Robert Sadler is a strong reminder of that fact. It is a great reminder that we can all help fight human trafficking and bring an end to this horrible situation. The book is definitely not for young eyes, due to some of the graphic details in it, and the subject matter, but would be more appropriate for adults. A definite eye-opener to be sure. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a thumbs up.

BUY IT: You can purchase The Emancipation of Robert Sadler at your favorite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment