Sunday, January 29, 2012

Happily Ever After: A Book Review

With Valentine's Day just a few weeks away, I wanted to introduce you to a new book from best-selling author, Gary Chapman. Titled, Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage is the perfect gift for your significant other, a newly engaged or newlywed couple.




About The Book:


“My husband and I can't seem to agree on anything!”
“You spent how much!?!”
“My wife's parents are driving me crazy!”
”You never listen to me!”

Let's face it—even the best of marriages hit an occasional bump in the road now and then. The secret to marital bliss lies in how you and your spouse handle those bumps. In Happily Ever After, Gary Chapman, the man “who wrote the book” on how to communicate with your spouse, shows couples how to successfully navigate the six most common problems that couples face: fighting fair, negotiating change, managing money, getting along with your in-laws, raising kids, and maintaining a healthy sex life. Drawing on more than 30 years of counseling experience, Dr. Chapman provides real-world examples and practical, battle-tested advice that will help you and your spouse better understand and communicate with each other as well as grow as a couple for many years to come.



About The Author:


Dr. Gary Chapman is the author of the best-selling The Five Love Languages (more than 4 million copies sold) and The Four Seasons of Marriage. He is the director of Marriage and Family Life Consultants, Inc.; an internationally known speaker; and the host of A Love Language Minute, a syndicated radio program heard on more than 100 stations across North America. He and his wife, Karolyn, live in North Carolina.


My Review:


One of the very first books I read after being married was The First Love Languages. It completely changed the way I had looked at myself and my husband in regard to how we communicate. Since then, I have read several of Chapman's book and was very excited to read his most recent release, Happily Ever After: Six Secrets to a Successful Marriage.


The book is extremely well organized and will be a perfect gift for all newly engaged and newlywed couples in your life. It covers most of the topics that would be discussed in most pre-marital counselling sessions, so a great way to reference what was learned. In fact, this is a book that all married couples should have in your personal library, whether you have been married five months or 50 years. There is a little bit of everything, for everyone.


My husband and I were married in 1997 and there has not been a year that goes by that we have not had a stressful situation occur (be it in our marriage or issues in our families) but the hardest years of our marriage were from 2008-2010. It was by far the most difficult for us, but by God's grace and our willingness to work through the issues we are better people and a stronger couple because of the trials we experienced in those two years. Do I wish we did not have to deal with it, absolutely but we have both become better for the crisis we endured. 


No marriage is perfect and if a couple says their's is, they are not being honest. There is always something we can improve on in our marriage and we must be honest about this. Chapman agrees. The book has a huge amount of conversation and discussion questions to help a couple work through issues like money, sex, conflict resolution (my favorite section of the book by far) and dealing with in-laws. There is also a fantastic appendix that includes a ton of extras to help you in your marriage journey (for example, a list titled, "What Wives Wish/What Husband's Wish is very enlightening). Most of the ideas I read in Happily Ever After aren't new to me, as I have seen them in other fantastic books on the market, but it was a wonderful reminder, and my favorite part of the book were the questions that couples can read and discuss.


If you are looking for a way to improve your marriage, or a gift for a wedding, I highly recommend Happily Ever After by Gary Chapman.


I give this book a huge thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase Happily Ever After by Gary Chapman at your favorite bookseller from Tyndale House Publishers


***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Tyndale Blog Network, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment