Sunday, January 29, 2012

The Voice New Testament: A Book Review

About The Voice New Testament:


The Voice™  Bible translation is a faithful dynamic translation of the Scriptures done as a collage of compelling narratives, poetry, song, truth, and wisdom.

The Voice calls the reader to step into the whole story of Scripture and experience the joy and wonder of God’s revelation. Created for and by a church in great transition, The Voice uniquely represents collaboration among scholars, pastors, writers, musicians, poets, and other artists, giving great attention to the beauty of the narrative. The heart of The Voice is retelling the story of the Bible in a form as fluid as modern literary works yet remaining painstakingly true to the original manuscripts. This translation promotes the public reading of longer sections of Scripture—followed by thoughtful engagement with the biblical narrative in its richness and fullness and dramatic flow.

This is an updated and revised version of the New Testament edition, now at an even more affordable price.
Features include:
  • Italicized information added to help contemporary readers understand what the original readers would have known intuitively
  • In-text commentary notes include cultural, historical, theological, or devotional thoughts
  • Screenplay format, ideal for public readings and group studies
  • Book introductions
My Review:

I don't know why it is, but I love collecting Bibles. I have a number of Bibles in my personal library and at one time or another have used them all. I grew up using the NIV, and received my NIV Study Bible as my High School Graduation gift from my parents, and used it all throughout my Bible College days (markings and notes can be found through it as a result). My collection includes NASB, NKJV, KJV, The Message, and more. Now, with the release of The Voice New Testament I have another Bible to add. 

The Voice is by far one of the most unique Bible translations that I have read. The format is perfect for readings in church services and other gatherings, as you can very easily divide up the sections with no difficulty. Perfect for drama groups or using drama as part of a church worship service. I could see The Voice used in an awesome manner through Easter and Christmas, giving congregations a visual picture of these wonderful events in the Christian faith.I love that the version is so easy to read, perfect for new Christians and young Christians like teenagers and older children.


The Voice also includes a wonderful preface about the translation and how to use The Voice to the fullest extent. Included within the New Testament text is commentary on the text, but it is written in a very basic easy-to-read manner. Even a younger reader would be able to read The Voice, in my opinion. 


My very favorite part of The Voice is the four reading plans that are included. There is one for Advent and Christmas, one for Lent and Easter, one for reading the New Testament in 24 weeks, and Daily Readings for Personal Growth (40 Days With God). I am planning to use The Voice reading plan for Lent and Easter, in combination with my ESV Study Bible.


If you are looking for an alternative Bible for personal devotional study, or for public liturgical readings in your church, I highly recommend The Voice New Testament. I give it a huge thumbs up.


BUY IT: You can purchase The Voice New Testament at your favorite bookseller from Thomas Nelson


***I received a complimentary copy of this New Testament, courtesy of Thomas Nelson and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment