Tuesday, March 13, 2012

It's Your Kid, Not A Gerbil: A Book Review

About The Book:


Do you sometimes feel like a gerbil running on a wheel inside a cage as you scurry from place to place, chauffeuring your children from one endless activity to another? What if, for one moment, you could just step off of the wheel . . . and relax? How would you feel then? And what if that single moment could stretch into an hour, or even a whole day? It’s Your Kid, Not a Gerbil will provide practical solutions and helpful insight to get off the activity wheel so that you can put your time and energies where they really count: in establishing strong character and a love for home and family that will serve your kids well for a lifetime.


About The Author:


Dr. Kevin Leman, an internationally known psychologist, radio and television personality, and speaker, has taught and entertained audiences worldwide with his wit and commonsense psychology. The best-selling and award-winning author has made house calls for hundreds of radio and television programs, including The View with Barbara Walters, The Today Show, Oprah, CBS's The Early Show, Live with Regis Philbin, CNN's American Morning, and LIFE Today with James Robison, and he has served as a contributing family psychologist toGood Morning America. He is the founder and president of Couples of Promise, an organization designed and committed to helping couples remain happily married. Dr. Leman is also a charter faculty member of iQuestions.com. He has written over 30 best-selling books about marriage and family issues, including The Birth Order Book and Sheet Music: Uncovering the Secrets of Sexual Intimacy in Marriage. Dr. Leman and his wife, Sande, live in Tucson. They have five children.


My Review:


Since becoming a parent in 2006, I have read countless parenting books but some of my favorites have been from Dr. Kevin Leman. With a combination of seriousness and humor, you will be encouraged with each page, especially in his newest release, It's Your Kid, Not A Gerbil.

The book covers a ton of issues, like the importance of not having too much on your kids' plates, that overscheduling is not good for both the kids and parents alike, and that spending time as a family is ultimately the key.

 His book is full of humor but he is not afraid to tackle tough issues. We have gotten a lot of flack for keeping our children out of planned activities, but at only five, and three, years of age, there is plenty of time for activities. I want my children to know me, not their teachers or coaches. This book does parents a great service teaching us that we don't have to feel bad if we don't have our children in each, and every, activity or class. Our most important job is to have a relationship with our kids! My kids are creatures of routine and I can't imagine throwing in sports 2-3 times a week to that schedule! Growing up I was always only in one activity at a time, and I turned out just fine. If that was good enough for me, its good enough for my girls. I can't imagine not spending the time I do with them now as a stay-at-home/work-at-home mom (a point that Leman makes - one parent should be at home) and though not all families can do this, I am grateful that we can.

Dr. Leman has several key ideas that I have already utilized in my own family including:

*one activity per semester (we actually chose not to put our oldest in any extra activities through this Kindergarten year, as we did not know how the transition would be)

*spending time as a family daily (we do story time before bed)

*discussing our day as a family (we do this during our dinner meal - that all attend)

This book has information for all ages so is perfect for all parents! It would be a great gift idea for new parents as a future resource, and a great resource for any church library. I am going to pick up a physical copy of this book, so I can make notes in it, and also buy extras to share with my mom friends!

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up.


BUY IT: You can purchase It's Your Kid, Not A Gerbil at your favorite bookseller, from Tyndale House 


***I received a complimentary e-copy of this book, courtesy of Tyndale House and NetGalley, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment