Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Veiled Rose: A Book Review

About The Book:



A Monster Prowls the Mountains of Southlands

Rose Red trusts no one with her secret. She hides in the forest, her face veiled in rags, shunning the company of all save her old father and her nanny goat. Her life is bleak and lonely.

Until she meets a privileged young man sent to spend his summer in the mountains. Headstrong young Leo startles everyone by befriending Rose Red, and together they begin searching for the monster rumored to be stalking these lands.

But the hunt, which began as a game, holds greater risk than either imagines. Soon both are forced to test their trust in each other as a far more terrifying scourge puts their entire land at risk.

You can read an excerpt of Veiled Rose here.

About The Author:

Anne Elisabeth Stengl makes her home in Raleigh, North Carolina, where she enjoys her profession as an art teacher, giving private lessons from her personal studio, and teaching group classes at the Apex Learning Center. She studied illustration at Grace College and English literature at Campbell University.Heartless is her debut novel.

My Review:

Veiled Rose is the second book in the Tales of Goldstone Wood series, and released in July 2011. I had the opportunity to review the first book, Heartless last year, so was intrigued with how the remaining series would be like. I have actually really enjoyed this YA Fantasy series thus far. 

It contains all the basics of a fantasy novel, with princesses, dragons and the quest of good over evil, with a little love and romance thrown in. Perfect for all fantasy genre fans for sure, particularly young adults. The writing flows nicely and gives amazing detail so you can actually visualize each scene. If a book does not allow me to visualize the scenes, or I can't see it as a movie, then typically I don't enjoy it - this one was great that way.

 Actually as I read the series thus far, I am reminded of Stephen Lawhead, and C.S. Lewis (the Narnia series) and that is a great thing. The genre of fantasy is not my favorite but I have thoroughly enjoyed this series. 

Although a series, both Heartless and Veiled Rose could be read as stand-alone novels, so no need to feel lost or confused as you read the second book.  

Book three, Moonblood, is set to release in April 2012, and I will be reviewing that one this week as well. Starflower, book four in the series, is set to be released in October 2012. This series will actually have six books in total, and I will for sure be reading all of them!

I highly recommend this book, and series, and give it a thumbs up.

BUY IT: You can purchase Veiled Rose at your favorite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment