Friday, April 27, 2012

Choose Joy: A Book Review

About The Book:



Everyone knows how to be joyful in the peaks of life.

I've graduated!

I'm engaged!

I've been hired!

I'm having a baby!

I'm cancer-free!

When all your fondest hopes and wildest dreams come true, and your heart nearly explodes with happiness, it's easy to feel joyful.

But what about the valleys? When nothing seems to go your way? When everything is falling apart? When God is silent, and you feel all alone?

Where does joy fit into those moments?

In Choose Joy, acclaimed author and Christian leader Kay Warren shares the path to experiencing soul-satisfying joy no matter what you're going through. Joy is deeper than happiness, lasts longer than excitement, and is more satisfying than pleasure and thrills. Joy is richer. Fuller. And it's far more accessible than you've thought.
Joy comes from God . . . and it can be yours! Today.

You can read an excerpt of Choose Joy here, in PDF format

About The Author:

Kay Warren cofounded Saddleback Church with her husband Rick Warren in Lake Forest, California. She is a passionate Bible teacher and respected advocate for those infected with and affected by HIV and AIDS, as well as orphaned and vulnerable children. She founded Saddleback's HIV/AIDS Initiative. Kay is the author of Say Yes to God and coauthor of Foundations, the popular systematic theology course used by churches worldwide. She has three children and five grandchildren.

Learn more at www.kaywarren.com and follow her on Facebook (Kay Warren) and Twitter (@KayWarren1).

My Review:

As I read through Choose Joy, I was regularly reminded that choosing joy is ultimately up to us. We can be happy, but to be truly joyful in life, regardless of what it brings, it what Warren discusses through this very well-written book. Ultimately, as Warren suggests (and I agree!) being joyful is a choice we need to make on a daily (and for some, minute by minute) basis. One comment made in the book states, "when we have joy we thank God. Joyfulness and Gratitude go hand in hand" I loved reading this and being reminded of this! To choose joy is not always easy, especially in our hard times, but with God walking us through we can choose joy! He does not promise that we will not fall on hard times (whether illness, marriage crisis, or whatever) but He does teach us to cling to our hope in Him and Choose Joy!

Choose Joy is one book that I will read regularly for the inspiration and I have already recommended to many of my friends.

She writes in a very conversational manner, making the book very appealing to readers of all ages and stages of life. Included in each chapter is a prayer and some fantastic reflection questions, making book perfect for both individual and group study. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Choose Joy at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the lovely review, I'll have to add this book to my to read list!

    ReplyDelete