Saturday, April 14, 2012

Quit Going To Church: A Book Review

About The Book:

How did Christ imagine church and faith? Did he imagine the Sunday-Christian or the wholly immersed believer? In this book, Bob Hostetler tells readers to QUIT GOING TO CHURCH, and renew their walk of faith.


What drives people to enter the doors of churches every Sunday? It could be habit, living up to expectations, a sense of duty, or even guilt. People seem to be living ''churchanity'' rather than Christianity.

This thought provoking and ''pull-off-the-gloves'' book is based on the premise that much of how we think and act, a great percentage of what we do these days as church-going people, bears only a slight resemblance to the way of Jesus and ''the faith that was once for all delivered to the saints'' (Jude 1:3). With titles like ''Quit Going to Church'' and ''Quit Sharing Your Faith,'' each chapter issues an eyebrow-raising challenge, showing how many of us have misunderstood--even distorted--the Good News of Jesus and replaced Christianity with something else. As you read this book, be prepared to have your assumptions challenged and your life transformed by the renewing of your mind.`

About The Author:

Bob Hostetler is a writer, editor, pastor, and speaker from southwestern Ohio. His twenty-seven books, which include the award-winning, Don't Check Your Brains at the Door (co-authored with Josh McDowell) and American Idols, have sold over 3 million copies. He has won two God Medallion Awards, three Ohio Associated Press awards, and an Amy Foundation Award. He is a co-founder of Cobblestone Community Church in Oxford, Ohio. He and his wire Robin have two grown children, Aubrey and Aaron.

My Review:

At first glance, the title of this book is rather shocking. Quit Church? Really? I admit, when I was first asked to review Hostetler's book, the title alone intrigued me enough to read it. And I am so glad it has.

Over the last two years, my husband and I have had a number of conversations about how the church today is far removed from what we, as Christians, read about in the Book of Acts in the Bible. As you read Quit Going To Church you will be reminded of this and what we, as modern day Christians, must do to get back to what Christ truly wanted church to be. And its not about "bigger is better" or programming, though these have their places in the today's churches. It's not about going to church but being the church. 

The author covers 12 areas, like tithing, being nice, helping the poor and worship. Again, it is a book that I believe should be read by all Christians and one that all pastors need to read. I laughed, cried and was generally moved to change the way I look at my faith and how to live it out.

 I would like to say that I will put Quit Going to Church on the same level as Radical by David Platt and Crazy Love by Francis Chan. And if you have read either of these books, you know what is in store if you read Quit Going To Church. 

At the end of the book, the author challenges the reader to pass on the book. Well, my copy is so marked up and highlighted, so I don't feel comfortable giving my copy away, but I am for sure going to be purchasing other copies to share with people in my life. It is really that good! There is included in each chapter quotes from many well known people, preachers, authors, and even sports figures, and many personal accounts from the author himself. As well, each chapter is concluded with a beautiful prayer. 

BUY IT: You can purchase Quit Going To Church at your favorite bookseller from Leafwood Publishers

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Leafwood Publishers, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment