Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Putumayo Presents Bluegrass: A CD Review

Nashville, TN (March 27, 2012) - Putumayo announces the May 22nd release of Bluegrass, an engaging collection featuring many of the genre's most renowned artists along with exciting new discoveries. The album is Putumayo's first venture into the  world of bluegrass and includes Alison Krauss, Sam Bush, Peter Rowan, David Grisman and other stars alongside some of today's up-and-coming young groups like Railroad Earth, Town Mountain and Uncle Earl.


Bluegrass offers insight into the variations within the genre, from the mesmerizing vocals and skillful instrumentation of Alison Krauss and Union Station ("Every Time You Say Goodbye") to Railroad Earth's contemporary newgrass sound on "Been Down This Road" Then there's the lively rendition of "Jackaroo," by legends David Grisman and Jerry Garcia, alongside the soft, contemporary sounds of Andrea Zonn and Alison Brown.


Frank Solivan's "Across The Great Divide" and Peter Rowan's "Man of Constant Sorrow", transport listeners with their earthy, newgrass style. James Alan Shelton brings his beautiful melody-oriented guitar playing to the traditional song "Shady Grove", and Crooked Still adds a modern bluegrass sound to "New Railroad" One of bluegrass music's longest performing groups, The Seldom Scene, provides their distinctive vocals and picking to the Dylan classic, "Boots of Spanish Leather" followed by the versatile all-girl string band Uncle Earle on "The Last Goodbye" Young North Carolina natives Town Mountain contribute their original, traditional bluegrass stylings with "Digging' On The Mountainside," while the inimitable Sam Bush, brings his beloved mandolin playing to "Diamond Joe" The album closes with  a rendition of the gospel favorite "I'll Fly Away" performed by a variety of talented artists.


To listen to tracks from the album, click http://putumayo.bandcamp.com/album/bluegrass


My Review:


Putumayo Presents Bluegrass is by far one of my favorite CD's from Putumayo. It features one of my favorite singers, Alison Krauss and one of my favorite hymns, "I'll Fly Away." This is the perfect CD for those just discovering the genre of bluegrass, as well as for those who have loved the genre for years. Not only do I love the Alison Krauss song, Every Time You Say Goodbye, but two other songs that I loved were Man of Constant Sorrow by Peter Rowan and The Last Goodbye by Uncle Earl. And I love that this is another genre that I can share with my children without worrying about crass lyrics.


I highly recommend this CD and give it a huge thumbs up.


BUY IT: You can purchase Putumayo Presents Bluegrass at your favorite music retailer


***I received a complimentary copy of the above CD, courtesy of Putumayo, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment