Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dave Barnes - Stories To Tell: A CD Review

Off the heels of his No. 1 hit and first GRAMMY® nomination for the song “God Gave Me You” as performed by Blake Shelton, Dave Barnes will release a new studio project, Stories To Tell, on March 13 (Razor & Tie). The album is produced by John Fields (Lifehouse, Switchfoot, Goo Goo Dolls, Jonas Brothers, P!nk). The new single “Mine To Love” is now available on iTunes.
“The music is definitely poppy but everything is accounted for,” he describes. “There are no rogue parts or instrumentation, everything is really fleshed out and that’s what I was going for thankfully. Working with John, I knew he does what I wanted to do, which is make a little more of a pop record and get out of the self-imposed box I’ve been in for a while.”
Barnes’ last album, the 2010 release What We Want, What We Get, featuring the GRAMMY-nominated song “God Gave Me You,” has scanned over 34,000 units. Barnes’ and Shelton’s versions of “God Gave Me You” have sold over one million singles and the song has had enormous success at radio. To date, Barnes has sold over 155,000 albums and over 510,000 individual song downloads. He has toured with notable acts including John Mayer, Taylor Swift, Lady Antebellum, Bonnie Raitt, and One Republic as well as festivals such as Bonnaroo. His music has been featured in television shows such as CW’s “Life Unexpected,” Disney’s “Suite Life On Deck,” ABC’s“ Brothers And Sisters” and WB’s “Summerland,” as well as the films “Employee Of The Month” and “My Super Ex-Girlfriend.” Barnes’ songs have been covered by a bevy of other artists including country singers Blake Shelton and Billy Currington. as well as Marc Broussard, Kelly Clarkson, and Bethany Dillon, to name a few. Barnes has been recognized by the industry as a rising songwriter. Billboard Magazine touted “Many of the best pop songwriters come out of Nashville, and Dave Barnes is one such singer/scribe now building momentum.”
My Review:
One of my favorite country singers is Blake Shelton, and of recent years I have loved his song, God Gave Me You, which happens to be also performed by Dave Barnes. So when I had the opportunity recently to review Barnes' CD, Stories To Tell, I jumped at it.
 With honesty that shines through his lyrics, to upbeat melodies that will have you tapping your toes and singing along, I thoroughly enjoyed Stories To Tell. With themes of marriage and parenthood seen throughout, it would be a great gift idea for a new married couple.
A couple of my favorite songs were White Flag, Mine to Love,  and Love Will Be Enough For Us but honestly the entire CD is wonderful to listen to. A little bit rock, a little bit country, and a little bit of pop make a little great combo for all music lovers. 
I highly recommend this CD and give it a huge thumbs up!
BUY IT: You can purchase Stories To Tell by Dave Barnes at your favorite Christian retailer from Razor and Tie
***I received a complimentary copy of this CD, courtesy of Merge PR, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment