Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Get Kids Reading with MailaTale!


I am a huge advocate for early literacy for children and one of my most favorite things to do is read with children. My girls, at only 5.5 and 4 years of age LOVE books. We have easily 200 books in our home (as I also run a home daycare) and since being in the womb, I have read to them.

Whenever I find a company that advocates for children to get reading, I know that I have to support it somehow, and when they are Canadian based, that is even better! Recently, I had the opportunity to work with such a company in Mailatale.



Mailatale is a monthly subscription program that gives your child the opportunity to read wonderful, high quality books from both Canadian and International authors. For $28.95 a month, your child will receive 2-3 books that are based on a theme and are completely age-appropriate.  We received books in both May and June and were extremely happy with the picks that we received.

In May we had the opportunity to read and review two books that were animal themed.


The Snail and the Whale by Julia Donaldson and Axel Scheffler was absolutely adorable. What a journey these two unlikely friends had throughout the book. The illustrations were amazing and I cannot wait to read more from this amazing author. If the name sounds familiar, they are the creators of the The Gruffalo, another cute children's book.


Giraffe and Bird by Rebecca Bender was delightful. These two had a "love-to-hate" relationship and you will laugh out loud at their funny antics these two animals get into. The illustrations are bright and fun, almost comic book like at times. It kept the attention of both my daughters and it is a book that will be in our personal library for a long time to come.

During June, the theme for Mailatale was Fairytales, but with a twist. Each book that we had a chance to choose from was a modern version of classic fairy tales. Both books we received were versions of the Princess and the Pea, one of my favorite fairy tales.  One part of the sign up process in June that I loved was we had the opportunity to choose between four books, giving us the parent a lot of input to what we would receive.


The Very Smart Pea and the Princes-To-Be by Mini Grey is the story of the Princess and Pea, but from the Pea's point of view. Incredibly cute, with delightful illustrations, you will laugh out loud as you read it.


The Princess and the Packet of Frozen Peas by Tony Wilson and Sue deGennaro is another fantastic book. I would have never heard of it, had it not been for Mailatale and I am so glad that it is now in our personal library. What I liked about the book was that the prince was not looking for someone who is beautiful necessarily but they had to like camping and hockey! Again, this book is full of whimsical illustrations and kept the attention of both my girls.

Both months the books came is beautiful packaging that was personalized to both my children. With delicate tissue paper wrapping, the girls were so excited when they saw the box come to the door! Although, initially I thought the monthly subscription price was steep, but when you think about what you pay for hardcover children's books at places like Chapters or Barnes and Noble, it works out to be a very good deal. Overall, I was extremely impressed with our experience with Mailatale.

If you are looking for a fun way to weave great books into the life of a child, Mailatale is a great idea. Perfect for your own child, or as a gift, Mailatale gets a huge thumbs up from my family and I.

BUY IT: Head over to Mailatale today and get $10 off your first month (use the code THEREMPELS10)

***I received a complimentary set of books, courtesy of Mailatale, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***




No comments:

Post a Comment