Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Everything: A Book Review

About The Book:


“I don’t write this book as a condemnation or as a sermon. The last thing I want to do is provide a ‘how to be the best Christian in ten easy steps’ guide. I pen these words as a fellow struggler who is learning that what we think about God matters, how we allow Him to reign in our hearts matters, and how we obey Him in the moment matters. It all matters. Everything.”
Author and speaker Mary DeMuth has been abused, foreclosed, abandoned, and betrayed. She has been pressed and drained till it was too much . . .
But it was just enough to bring her to a place of surrender, piece by precious piece. In that surrender, she found the freedom of giving everything to God. And through Scripture, community, and the work of the Holy Spirit, she gives it all over again, every day.
In this gentle and challenging book, DeMuth describes the process and the nuances that shape us to be more like Christ. Her words are clear, vulnerable, and thought provoking, and every chapter is infused with Scripture.
Most of all, DeMuth provides personal and practical evidence that there is no greater pursuit than Christ. We must surrender everything, but it does not compare to the Everything He is, the Everything He gives.
About The Author:
Hello! I'm Mary DeMuth. I've written two Christian living titles, six southern novels, four parenting books, two devotionals and a memoir entitled Thin Places. I've spoken around the world, helping people live uncaged, freedom-infused lives. I love stories--yours in particular--because I believe we all are living a great adventure. Speaking of adventure, I'm the mom of three amazing kids and married to a terribly handsome husband. Find out more about me here.
My Review:
I was first introduced to Mary Demuth's writings last year when I read and reviewed her book, Beautiful Battle and The Muir House. From that point on I have been a huge fan of her work. 
With vulnerability and rawness, DeMuth brings women to a place where you need to examine your life and see if God truly is your Everything! And if He isn't, she give great practical ideas about how to truly surrender. I was truly challenged heading into 2013 to make God my everything, due in part to reading this book.
I did read Everything very quickly, as it is easy to read, but be certain I will be going back through it in order to really dig deep. I especially loved that she has a printable study guide available for Everything on her website, allowing for even deeper study individually or in a small group setting (perfect for woman's Bible Study groups). 
The book itself is very well organized, using simple language yet is challenging too! Very reminescent of Max Lucado's writings in fact. It is also very Biblically sound, another important point when reading a book (in my opinion) that challenges us to have God as our Everything! 
I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!
BUY IT: You can purchase Everything at your favorite bookseller from Thomas Nelson
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of BookSneeze, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


No comments:

Post a Comment