Thursday, December 13, 2012

Holiday Gift Guide - The Christmas Story: A Brick Bible Review

About The Book:

The greatest story of all time illustrated through kids' favorite toy!

Santa, sleigh bells, mistletoe, reindeer, and presents: these are the tell-tale signs of Christmas. But December 25 is also the time to celebrate the birth of Jesus, and what better way to introduce your kids to the story of the Savior's birth than through LEGO! 

Every year, children of all ages revisit the scene in Bethlehem with Joseph, Mary, the three wise men, the angels and shepherds, and the baby Jesus, swaddled and lying in a manger. Kids will love seeing the story of Christmas played out using their favorite toys. Brendan Powell Smith, author of The Brick Bible for Kids series--beginning with Noah's Ark--creates a magical "brick" world around the simplified text of the Immaculate Conception, the census, the guiding star high above Bethlehem, and the promise one little baby brings to the world. This important Christmas story is sure to be the perfect holiday gift and a book for families to cherish for years to come. 28 color photographs

About The Author:

Brendan Powell Smith is author of Noah's Ark: The Brick Bible for Kids, as well as numerous books for older readers, including The Brick Bible and The Brick Bible: The New Testament. He has produced over 5,000 illustrations retelling over 400 stories from the Bible.

Visit www.brickbibleforkids.com for more information

My Review:

Lego is one toy that has stood the test of time. I have amazing memories of creating buildings, houses, castles and more as a kid and honestly, its still one of my favorite things to create with when I have a chance to play. I am so excited that my girls, at four and six years, are now beginning to enjoy it as well.

I recently had a chance to read a Bible story book with a twist. The Christmas Story by The Brick Bible is completely illustrated using Lego. It was really a lot of fun to read and my girls loved how each detail of the Nativity was shown, including pregnant Mary, Baby Jesus, the soldiers and stable. I did have to explain the scene with Herod and the killing of children under two with my children, as this is the first time they have really heard this part of the Christmas story (they are only ages four and six, and felt that the illustrations were a little scary - my four year old did not like the killing). The Christmas Story from Brick Bible is a fun and different way to visualize the Nativity. It was a quick read, and follows the Biblical account of the Nativity very closely. The illustrations are, of course, entirely done in Lego, and brightly colored, which caught, and kept, my children's attention throughout the book. My six year old also loved the fact that she was able to read a lot of the book on her own (she is learning to read, so will do so as much as she can!)

As I did some research about the author of this book, I discovered that he is an Atheist so that kind initially made it difficult when trying to do the review. I was not sure what to expect with a Bible Story written by an admitted Atheist. It is my hope that despite this, The Christmas Story will be used to draw people (including the author) closer to God.  I read a response he made to a person's review on a popular bookseller website, and he said "its not his goal to glorify the god of the Bible but to portray him the way the Bible itself does". As fun as this Bible Story is, I do believe there are better books out there that will teach children the Christmas story in a God-glorifying manner.

When you look at the creativity of the book itself, outside of the author's religious belief, I do think the book is a great idea. However, I don't think I can give this book a 100 percent endorsement because God is not at the center of the author's plans for this book.

BUY IT: You can purchase The Christmas Story from The Brick Bible online here, through Amazon

***I received a complimentary copy of the above book, courtesy of Thomas Allen and Sons, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment