Tuesday, January 8, 2013

My One Word for 2013

As we start a new year, many of us spend the first few weeks of January reflecting on the previous year. We remember both good and bad times, crying and laughing as we reflect, and look to the new year with anticipation and growth.

I am no different.

2012 was a year with a lot of good times.....

- my oldest started Grade 1, learning to read, spell and developing a thirst for learning
- she also lost her first four teeth, grew about four inches (at least) and it is so hard to believe that my little 10 week preemie is now six and 65lbs!
-my youngest is now four and a half and also, just like her big sister, loves to learn, is all about being a girly-girl and loves her Littlest Pet Shops and Dolls. She is weighing about 45lb and is four feet tall at least!
- my husband is thriving in his job and loves all the challenges that come with a sales job
-watching my husband as he grows in his relationship with Christ, truly surrendering himself to Christ and making his heart open to what God is calling him to do
-continuing success with my home child care program and watching young children grow, learn and develop as they play
-many wonderful visits with friends and family through the year, including travelling 12 hours by car to visit family in Manitoba, reconnecting with several friends as we went

But it was also filled with many rough times too....

-grieving the loss of my sister in May, yet rejoicing that she is in the arms of her Lord and Savior
-dealing with financial struggles, but glad to see the light at the end of the tunnel as we knock down debt
-relinguishing two friendships that I thought I needed, but realizing that the Lord had so much better for me
-learning of a loved one's cancer diagnosis, yet feeling peace that His Healing Hand will prevail, in whatever manner God deems it to be
-struggling to keep my type 2 diabetes in check, yet in the process learning methods to do so and starting medication to help, at least temporarily
-seeing horrific life-altering events in the daily news like the shooting in Conneticut, Hurricane Sandy, and so many more events

Now, there were definitely other good and not-so-good times, these are just a few. But certainly enough of a reminder that God was with me and my family each step of the way.

As I look back on 2012 I can see that God was working even when I did not always see it or feel it. I can definitely look back and see areas of my life that need to be improved on in 2013 and as I was thinking about, and praying about, what word I should make as my theme for the year, I quickly knew exactly what it should be.  Are you ready to find out what it is?

My One Word for 2013 .....

DISCIPLINE

Now this is a pretty broad spectrum word and over the next few weeks I will let you in on how I am going to use this word in the upcoming weeks and months. But let me just say that the word scares me to death. Discipline in any form, for most areas of my life has been hard for me. I am a classic yo-yo dieter, hence the difficulty I have in being disciplined in exercise and healthy eating. I struggle with disciplining myself with quiet time/Bible reading (if we are truly being honest, which I hope to be more this year), and I truthfully struggle with the discipline that is often necessary to be the best mom and wife I know God wants me to be.

It is my hope and prayer that God will take this word discipline, and just turn my life upside down and I strive to live discipline out in my life daily.

What about you, do you have a word for 2013, I would love to hear what it is! Leave a comment below and a link to your blog (if you blog) so I can visit you!

Blessings,

1 comment:

  1. O, I love your word! But it also is a hard word. I wish you God as Helper, every day!

    My word is Hope ( in Dutch Hoop )

    Dutch blogging mama.

    ReplyDelete