Friday, March 15, 2013

Unholy Hunger Blog Tour and Review

About The Book:

Evelyn Barrett wants to die. As long as her daughter's murderer dies with her, she is ready to go. Why did this man--this stranger--destroy her family? Why has he not been brought to justice? Why is she forced to live a life of anger and grief? Amid a million questions she cannot answer, Evelyn knows one thing for sure: this murderer must be punished for his crime.
Before it all, she was a successful attorney who won all the hard cases. Now that the case is personal, Evelyn will stop at nothing to seek her own version of justice. When another girl goes missing, Evelyn plows forward, ignoring the warnings from police detectives, the pleas of her grief-stricken husband, and the strange, almost supernatural tingles that tug at her. But as she follows the stench of evil, Evelyn learns that the hardest thing she will have to face may not be the death of her child after all. Perhaps the harder lesson is this: the ultimate truth--of crime and verdict, of life and death--cannot be swayed by a mother's revenge.
In this first book of a new, page-turning series, a woman will be brought to her limits before she finally recognizes the movement of the Holy Spirit and reconnects with the source of true peace.


My Review:

When first approached about reviewing the debut novel from author Heather James, I have to admit I hesitated. The subject matter is one that recently I have tried to avoid. Anything involving a criminal nature and children has really effected me since being a parent, and I would rather read books that are either uplifting or touch on other types of mystery and suspense. That said, I am glad I took the chance to read Unholy Hunger.

While the topics of child abuction, molestation, abuse and murder (I will not give spoilers) make up the majority of the book, I was drawn to the journey of Evelyn. She is the major character in this book, and her journey was poignant, well developed, and heart-wrenching. With each page read, I was drawn into her journey for answers and feel that I would of likely experienced many of the same feelings she did. I could never imagine, as a parent, going through the experience of my children being abducted or murdered. The author has written with a rawness that, while difficult to read, also allowed for the theme of forgiveness to shine through.

 A very well written novel, and I look forward to reading more from Heather Graham in the future. 

Again, the topics are very real and difficult, so I would give a warning to those that have history with these topics, that it is not an easy read. Also, I would say the book would be suitable for those over 18 years of age. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Unholy Hunger online through Amazon

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Kregel Publications, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment