Friday, May 3, 2013

The Gate: A Book Review

About The Book:


Every life is a story. Schuyler Hunt is about to come face-to-face with the author of his.
When a planned getaway with his wife turns into a shopping trip for the girls, Schuyler Hunt finds himself looking for something else to do. An ad for a vacation cottage catches his eye, and he sets off in search of a much-needed break. When he arrives, he finds something far different from the typical summer home experience. In fact, he may have found a little slice of heaven.
The proprietor-along with a number of unexpected and yet familiar guests-welcomes him with food, rest, and conversation, until what started out as an escape from everyday life turns into something much, much more . . .
You can read an excerpt of this book, here, in PDF format.
About The Author:
Dann A. Stouten is senior pastor of Community Reformed Church in Zeeland, Michigan, one of the fastest-growing churches on the West Michigan lakeshore. After a highly successful career in the auto industry, Dann returned to school and earned his DMin in narrative preaching. This is his first novel.
My Review:
I am often hesitant to read a debut novel from an author because I often don't have anything to base my opinion on. I will usually gravitate to authors I am familiar with, or have read for many years. However, recently I had the opportunity to review The Gate, a debut novel from author, Dann A. Stouten. It was definitely worth the risk. 
The book is not a quick read, like many novels are, you will want to read this one slowly and really digest what the author is teaching. It is an allegory, reminisent of The Shack, but better, in my opinion. Even in a fictional account of what Heaven may be like, the author has written a very nice first novel. I enjoyed the journey of reading it and it definitely made me think about the impact I have had in the lives of those around me now, and in the past. It will speak to everyone reads it, in many different ways and I look forward to more from this talented author!
Thought-provoking and well done!
I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!
BUY IT: You can purchase The Gate at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment