Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Bible Memory Fun This Summer: My Bible Reading Chart Review

With summer holidays just around the corner, many parents are putting together plans to keep their children busy. With either family holidays or fun activities to do around the house, it is always fun to come up with things that will keep boredom (and ultimately behavior issues) at bay. I have already started to put a few ideas together for my children. As I own a home child care program, many of these ideas will be incorporated into that daily schedule. Some ideas include:

1. Make ice cream sundays

2. Run through the sprinkler\

3. Have a picnic lunch

4. Complete an obstacle course

5. Have a backyard .BBQ Party summer end party

6. Go on a road trip to Manitoba 

7. Go to the zoo

8. Go to an amusement park

9. Complete a summer reading list with my girls

10. Go Bowling.

I will post a more detailed list next week, but one of the other things we are doing is also school work. My oldest is very much a creature of routine and habit, so I have decided to do a modified home school schedule in our daily schedule. She does attend public school, but I thought this would help her with her routine issues. 


One of the things I am doing is including Bible reading and memory work. Recently, I had the opportunity to review a great product that would help with this from Menno Media (a division of Herald Press) called My Bible Reading Chart. 

"Designed for early readers, this colorful booklet lists 100 favorite Bible verses selected for young children. Fun tips and challenges get kids excited about Bible reading, and a chart provides an easy way to track their Bible reading progress. Purchase one per child ages 6-9"

It has been really fun to see which verses are included and I am already thinking of fun ways to help both my girls learn the verses. Also available are reading plans for older children too! 

Of course, I don't expect that they will learn 100 verses in eight weeks, but I hope we can learn 10. There are verses from both the Old and New Testaments and they are all perfect for children in early elementary grades. I will adapt several of them for my youngest, who is almost five. Some of the verses included are:

Genesis 1:1-3
Ezra 3:11
Psalm 1:1-3
Psalm 100
Isaiah 40:31
Micah 6:8

Watch in the next couple weeks for the full list of verses I decide to help my girls (and myself in the process) memorize.

What types of activities are you planning to do with your children this summer?

BUY IT: You can purchase My Bible Reading Chart online through Menno Media

***I received a complimentary copy of this product, courtesy of Menno Media, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment