Saturday, June 29, 2013

Fully Alive: A Book Review

About The Book:

Discover who you were truly meant to be and how you were truly meant to live.
Gender roles have been the subject of much debate and confusion over the last several decades. What is expected of a man? What is expected of a woman? And where do those expectations come from? But the Bible is clear--God created men and women to be unique and He did so for a purpose.

In Fully Alive, author and psychologist Dr. Larry Crabb offers a life-changing, biblically dependent understanding of gender uniqueness. He shows you how to appreciate and exhibit your God-given femininity or masculinity to reveal God's loving character to a world that is desperately in need of understanding.


You can read an excerpt of Fully Alive here, in PDF format.



About The Author:

Dr. Larry Crabb is a well-known psychologist, conference and seminar speaker, Bible teacher, popular author, and founder/director of NewWay Ministries. He is currently scholar in residence at Colorado Christian University in Denver, and visiting professor of spiritual formation for Richmont Graduate University in Atlanta. Dr. Crabb and his wife of 46 years, Rachael, live in the Denver, Colorado, area. For additional information please visit www.newwayministries.org.

My Review

I was first introduced to the writing of Dr. Larry Crabb about 20 years ago, when I read Inside Out. That book changed my life, particularly in how I viewed myself! Since that time, I have read several of Dr. Crabb's books, and was definitely intrigued to read his most recent release, Fully Alive.

This was a breath of fresh air to read, after the plethora of marriage and relationship books in the market today. While in many ways it was a typical book on male/female relationships, it was so different then anything else I have previously read. It helped to really understand my role not only as a woman but also a wife and was so encouraging with each page read. 

The book is very well written and engaging, challenging me to look at how my relationship with God truly impacts relationships with those in my life. A truly inspiring read for sure. While there is no specific discussion questions included in the book (but would have been a great inclusion) this would be a fantastic book to study as a small group or Sunday School. My favorite chapters were those that discussed Submission actually, because Crabb made the whole idea of submission very appealing and really helped me understand what it truly is meant to be. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Fully Alive at your favorite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment