Friday, June 14, 2013

Let Justice Roll Down: A Bible Study Review

About The Book:


In the prophetic books of the Bible, we hear a steady drumbeat: return to God’s ways, remember who you are, seek justice. The calls are persistent, and include harsh words of coming judgment. Amos, whose name means "burden bearer," carried a message of warning to the Israelite people.
Let Justice Roll Down, commissioned by Mennonite Women Canada and Mennonite Women USA, is recommended for women’s gatherings, Sunday school classes, retreats, or individual reading and inspiration. Twelve sessions examine the book of Amos, with topics that include the prophetic voice, the church’s witness in the world, consumption and generosity, and the relationship between worship and justice.

About The Author:

Rebecca Seiling, from Waterloo, Ontario, is author of Plant a Seed of Peace and Don't Be Afraid. She is a mother, teacher, and freelance writer. Rebecca writes about family, food and faith at www.heartstrings.ca

My Review:

I have to say that the book of Amos was one of the last I thought I would enjoy a Bible study on. It is one of those Old Testament books that I often skim through just to say I did it. However, after going through Let Justice Roll Down, I have been challenged like never before to step out of my comfort zone for the case of Christ. 

The set up of the study is such that you do a lot of the dig work without the daily question set up like a Beth Moore study. While both have their advantages, I actually prefer this style. You have to do the leg work, and dig deep with only a few ideas and suggestions a long the way. I did thoroughly enjoy the deepnes that each chapter held. 

Chapter 9, studying Amos 6, was probably the chapter that impacted me the most. It is called Complacency and Lavish Lifestyles and remembering the difference between being content and complacent, and being truly satisfied in God. The whole study was impacting but this chapter spoke the most to me. 

If you are looking for a great Bible study for the fall in your Women's Ministry, small group, or Mom's group, look no further than Let Justice Roll Down.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Let Justice Roll Down online through MennoMedia

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of MennoMedia, a division of Herald Press, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment