Friday, September 20, 2013

How To Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World: A Book Review

About The Book:

Dave Stone shares creative ideas, real-life stories, and scriptural guidance about how to be a family that puts others first. 
In this third book from the Faithful Families series, How to Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World, Dave Stone continues to share his practical, conversational, and humorous approach to the challenges of building a strong spiritual foundation for the family. He equips parents with what they need to raise kids whose focus is not always on themselves. Some topics include: Becoming Others Focused, Service, Generosity, Forgiveness, and much more. 
Preaching is his gift, but Pastor Dave Stone’s family is his life’s blessing. And after raising three kids of his own, as well as shepherding the diverse families of his twenty-thousand-member congregation, his heart and passion for building strong families rings louder than ever. He knows that raising faithful families is a vital key to continued growth of the church.
You can view an excerpt of this book online here
About The Author:
Dave Stone is a senior Pastor of Southeast Christian Church in Louisville, Kentucky, where he preaches Truth to more than 21,000 people each weekend. He and his wife, Beth, have three children: Savannah, Sadie and Sam, a son-in-law, Patrick, and a grandson. Dave believes the most practical way to spread the gospel is through moms and dads who model a genuine faith for their children.
My Review:
In a day and age when you often here the dreaded three word phrase, "I Want That!" from children it is very easy see that we live in an age of entitlement. But just because the world believes that they can "have it all", does not mean it should be that way! As a Christian parent, I am trying, by the Grace of God, to teach my children (and in turn myself) to be respectful to others, to look out for the needs of others and not only love God, but also love others, as scripture commands we do.
In this book you will be given practical ideas, backed up with scripture, to help you as you journey this road we call parenting. Its not always an easy journey to be sure, but when we have resources like this book, written by an author who clearly has a gift given by the Lord, we know that we can make it! Today's "me first, me only" thinking is one that I know my children may try to live out sometimes, but I am glad I have read a book that helps me steer them from this line of thinking. 
A great read that I highly recommend and give a huge thumbs up too!
BUY IT: You can purchase How To Raise Selfless Kids in a Self-Centered World at your favorite bookseller from Thomas Nelson
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Thomas Nelson, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment