Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Parenting Your Powerful Child: A Book Review

About The Book:

Don't let those cherublike faces fool you.
Your smart kids have an agenda--and they're workin' ya.
Powerful kids don't just happen. They're created, and their power comes in different packages. Whether loud and temperamental, quiet and sensitive, or stubborn and manipulative, powerful children can make living with them a challenge. But it doesn't have to be that way.

In Parenting Your Powerful Child, New York Times bestselling author Dr. Kevin Leman offers a practical action plan to redirect your child's power surges into positive traits that will prepare your child for a successful, happy, and productive adult life. With these simple but effective techniques, you can transform your home from a daily battle zone to a safe and peaceful place. All it takes is a little determination--and some small changes on your part--to make a huge difference in your family life.

Ready for the power struggle to end?




You can read an excerpt of this book here, in PDF format.

About The Author:

Dr. Kevin Leman is an internationally known psychologist, radio and television personality, and speaker who has taught and entertained audiences worldwide with his wit and commonsense psychology. He has made house calls for hundreds of radio and television programs, such as Fox & FriendsThe View, Fox's The Morning ShowToday, Dr. Bill Bennett's America in the Morning700 Club, CBS's The Early Show, James Robison's Life TodayJanet Parshall, CNN's American Morning, and Focus on the Family, and has served as a contributing family psychologist to Good Morning America.

A bestselling and award-winning author, Dr. Leman has written more than 40 books about marriage and family issues, including The Birth Order BookSheet MusicMaking Children Mind without Losing Yours, and Have a New Kid by Friday. He is coauthor, with his son Kevin Leman II, of a series of illustrated children's books for each child in the family. He is also featured on 6 video series on marriage, parenting, blended families, and single parenting.

Dr. Leman and his wife, Sande, live in Tucson, Arizona. They have five children and two grandchildren.


My Review:

Dr. Kevin Leman has been one of my favorite go-to teachers when it comes to parenting, and once again he hits the ball out of the park with his new release, Parenting Your Powerful Child.

I never realized just how powerful my girls have been in my parenting relationship with them but wow, after reading this book, my eyes were opened wide! I knew before reading the book, that there were definitely some tweaks that needed to be made in my parenting style, as I (and daddy) have seen some less-than-desirable behaviors emerging from our five and almost seven year old children.

As I began to read the book, I felt like Dr. Leman was describing our girls. Don't get me wrong, they are amazing little girls that I would give my life for. However, we are in a new stage of parenting elementary school aged children, having passed the "parent of a preschool child" this summer. It is a whole new ball game of battles, eye rolling and attitude like they were already teenagers. I love that my girls like to be independent, have strong ideas about things, love the Lord, are friends with one another and I already see characteristics of empathy, kindness, etc in their personalities. But, just like other parents there also is defiances, spitefulness and a few other negative attitudes that need to be nipped in the bud.

In Parenting Your Powerful Child, you will be given countless ideas to remind children who is ultimately in control, us the parent, without shaming, or harming the child. Dr. Leman uses countless personal stories of his own journey as a parent, as well as humor. I found myself laughing out loud and sharing his stories with my husband on more than one occasion.

As the book progresses, Dr. Leman discusses the different types of powerful children, how our genes and environment assist in having a powerful child, grace based parenting and more. He also discusses the following ten power points:

1. Every family has a powerful child (we have two!)
2. Power comes in different packages
3. Genes, environment and birth order are powerful influencers
4. Every child develops his or her own screenplay on life
5. All children seek attention - positively or negatively
6. Kids only misbehave if doing so works
7. Win their cooperation
8. Rewire your parenting strategies (I am doing so as we speak)
9. Transform negative power surges into positive urges
10. They don't care what you know...until they know that you care.

Dr. Leman writes in a manner that will not condemn you as a parent, but encourage you. He gives advice that ALL parents (particularly those of preschool and teens) will come away with something to try. I have already tried (with some relative success) a few of the tips from the book, and will continue to do so. I will typically recommend his books over others because they are fun, yet work! As a former powerful child, I totally see myself in my oldest child especially, and I am sure that my parents would have loved this book back when I was little! Step by step ideas will have you dealing with a powerful child in no time, and re-establish the parent-child relationship that we so often let go of, because we just don't want the battle. It will certainly bring changes that are needed and necessary for all families.

I will be re-reading this book and making many notes too! It will be a resource that I will use for a few years to come yet, and its one that a few friends have already put dibs on borrowing! It is one that every church library needs and every Family Pastor or Family Ministry staff needs to read and have in their professional/personal library!

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Parenting Your Powerful Child at your favorite bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment