Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Before His Throne: A DVD Bible Study Review

About Before The Throne:

How can it be? God the Creator who sits enthroned above the earth desires an intimate relationship with us, His children. This marvelous truth is discovered in the pages of Scripture - our understanding of His worthiness is the beginning of our intimacy with Him. Understanding His incomparable holiness, we stand in awe before Him. We learn to experience the joy of living in His presence.

From the Book of Malachi and a careful examination of the whole of Scripture, Before The Throne explores our glorious God's relentless passion for us and how His covenant promises of old have been fulfilled through Jesus. With word studies, examples of biblical characters, the author's insightful personal illustrations, and introspective questions, you'll begin to discover in this nine-week study the delight of living with godly fear before His throne.

As you consider how a proper response to God is lived out day-to-day, you'll find yourself asking:

*Am I giving God my best?
*Am I too casual with Him?
*Do I take seriously the consequences of sin?
*Do I trust God whatever the circumstances?
*Am I investing in things of lasting value?

Because He is worthy, we are set apart for His purposes. Living to honor Him. Distinctively His. A possession treasured by our God.



About The Author:

Kathy Howard calls herself a “confused southerner.” Raised in Louisiana, she has moved with her engineer 
husband around the U.S. and Canada. She says “pop” instead of “Coke” and “you guys” as often as “ya’ll.” 
But those things are just superficial – she’s still a southern girl at heart! 

Kathy longs to see women stand firm in their faith in God no matter the circumstances of their lives. She 
encourages them to cling to God through troubles and trials to find strength, protection, comfort, and 
guidance. 

Kathy will help women: 

• Develop the courage to follow God even when it means taking a risk 
• Connect the wisdom and guidance of God’s Word to the decisions you face each day 
• Find relevance for life in your relationship with God 
• Stand firm in God’s strength, guidance, and peace when life’s circumstances are shaky 
• Gain satisfaction and joy through a deeper, more intimate relationship with God 

Kathy has been teaching the Bible for over 20 years to a varied audience – everyone from middle school 
students to teen moms to church leaders. She has a Masters in Christian Education from the Canadian 
Southern Baptist Seminary. Kathy served on a church staff in Midland, Texas until her family’s recent 
move to the Houston area. 

Kathy and her husband have three children, two son-in-laws, and one precious grandbaby. When the family 
gets together there are also four dogs in the mix. Kathy writes to have something to do while she drinks 
coffee and eats chocolate. 


My Review:

I have been a Christian for a very long time, and yet I will admit that studying the Old Testament has not been one of my priorities. I have always gravitated to the New Testament for one reason or another. However, this year I do believe that God has been wanting me to find nuggets of truth within the ancient writings of the Old Testament. Through My Women of the Word (WOW) evening Bible Study at church we studied Nehamiah, and through online resources, I have heard sermons and series on Moses, The Ten Commandments, Psalms, and Daniel. My love for the Old Testament has definitely grown and it has been amazing to see all that I am learning. 

Through the summer, I was introduced to Before The Throne from author Kathy Howard. This nine week study took me through Malachi and has really impacted me for the better! Each DVD session is about a half hour (give or take a few minutes), and there are PDF files for the listening guide for each session as well

. The DVD sessions will engage you, challenge you and inspire you to have a healthy fear of God. Kathy Howard draws you in with her strong level of Bible knowledge and engaging personality. I felt as though I was right in the room as I watched the sessions. 

 The book is divided up by the nine sessions but includes five days of study, reminesent of how Beth Moore's study's are set up. This method was already familiar to me, as I have done several studies in this method and really quite enjoy the digging and studying that occurs from it. You will have to give yourself about 45 minutes daily to complete the study, but it is well worth the time invested. 

If you are looking for a new study to use either personally, as a small group or a women's Bible Study group, this would certainly be a great one to use. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase both the DVD Study and book online through KathyHoward.org, as well as through Amazon. But the DVD is only available through the official website or Kathy herself. 

***I received a complimentary copy of the DVD set and Book, courtesy of Kathy Howard, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment