Friday, January 10, 2014

Hands Free Mama: A Book Review

About The Book:

If technology is the new addiction, then multi-tasking is the new marching order. We check our email while cooking dinner, send a text while bathing the kids, and spend more time looking into electronic screens than into the eyes of our loved ones. With our never-ending to-do lists and jam-packed schedules, it’s no wonder we’re distracted.
But this isn’t the way it has to be.
In July 2010, special education teacher and mother Rachel Macy Stafford decided enough was enough. Tired of losing track of what matters most in life, Rachel began practicing simple strategies that enabled her to momentarily let go of largely meaningless distractions and engage in meaningful soul-to-soul connections. She started a blog to chronicle her endeavors and soon saw how both external and internal distractions had been sabotaging her happiness and preventing her from bonding with the people she loves most.
Hands Free Mama is the digital society’s answer to finding balance in a media-saturated, perfection-obsessed world. It doesn’t mean giving up all technology forever. It doesn’t mean forgoing our jobs and responsibilities. What it does mean is seizing the little moments that life offers us to engage in real and meaningful interaction. It means looking our loved ones in the eye and giving them the gift of our undivided attention, leaving the laundry till later to dance with our kids in the rain, and living a present, authentic, and intentional life despite a world full of distractions.
So join Rachel and go hands-free. Discover what happens when you choose to open your heart---and your hands---to the possibilities of each God-given moment.
About The Author:
Rachel Macy Stafford has been providing readers with simple, non-intimidating, and motivating methods to let go of distraction and connect with their loved ones. Since starting the blog Hands Free Mama in 2010, Rachel's work has been featured in USA Today, TIME.com, MSN.com, The Huffington Post, and Reader's Digest. Her blog currently averages one million visitors a month. Rachel lives in Alabama with her husband and two children who inspire who daily. Hands Free Mama is her first book.
My Review:
"Mommy, can you come here?"
"Yes, in one minute!"
(which almost always ends up being five or ten minutes)
"I said come here Mommy!!!"
Then ensues a meltdown by usually mommy and child because we took too long to acknowledge the needs of my child. 
Does this sound familiar to you? If you are like me, it totally does! I can't tell you how many times I have heard this conversation in my house. I cannot tell you how many times I get distracted by other "things" and don't pay enough attention to the needs of family (either kids or husband). And that needs to stop now! 
Hands Free Mama is the first book I have read in 2014 (seeing as we are only 10 days into the year, that seems right) but I can bet you dollars to donuts, it will be the MOST IMPORTANT book I read all year (other than the Bible).
From the very first pages, my heart was convicted. I knew previous to reading this book that I am a distracted mom. Not because of any physical issue, but because I thought I could multi-task better than I was. However, this book has shown me otherwise! 
God has worked through the authors words to make me realize when I get distracted by things like my phone or the internet I am losing out on previous time with my family. The author shares from her heart with rawness, honesty and humor alike. The book is very nicely written, flows great, and includes a TON of practical help to put down our phones and technology and truly connect with our kids! I have implemented a few of the ideas (like only checking emails at certain points during the day, having specific times to work on my blog when the kids are at school, and turning my phone off in the car to engage in conversation) and will continue to make it my goal to truly become a Hands Free Mama in 2014 and after!
The book has been an encouragement to me as I surrender myself to the God-given moments in my daily life! I am not perfect and still go the distractions more than I should but I am a work in progress to be sure!
I highly recommend this book for all mamas to read (and dad's too!) and give it a huge thumbs up!
Check out Rachel's blog here, for great inspiration and encouragement!
BUY IT: You can purchase Hands Free Mama at your favorite Christian book retailer from Thomas Nelson
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of BookSneeze Blogger Program and Thomas Nelson, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for sharing this, will be checking out this book for sure!

    ReplyDelete