Wednesday, January 22, 2014

I'm Never Alone Within God's Community!




Wow, I cannot believe we are already reading and discussing Chapter 5, Never Walk Alone, from the book, Women Living Well, by one of fave bloggers, Courtney Joesph. The chapter discusses the importance of community in the life of a Christian woman, whether you are married, single, a parent or not. If you have not read the book, it is one that I highly recommend! And it's not too late to join in the online fun each week!


It is ironic that this chapter discussion comes at the same time as the Bible Study I attend has started up again after the rush and busyness of Christmas and the New Year. My home church offers Women of the Word twice a year, covering studies from books of the Bible, topics or book studies. In the past, I have studied several Beth Moore studies, Tim Keller, and George Guthrie. From September 2013 to November 2013 we studied Chip Ingram's True Spirituality, and this session, we are back studying the newest study from Beth Moore, Sacred Secrets! There is just something amazing that happens when women get together, become vulnerable and share with one another, as we learn from a teacher like Beth! I truly agree with Courtney when she says experiences with women's studies vary depending on the people involved, the leader and the study itself. What you put into it is what you will get out of it, and when you allow God to teach you from the very first pages of the study, amazing things happen! If you are not part of a small group study with women, find one at your local church or a church in your community! Better yet, get a few of your besties together and start one!



Another way that I get community is online! While Courtney discussed the importance of being careful with our time on social media, and I am making some changes to the way I use it, there is something wonderful about being in an online forum and discussing similar life experiences, and learning from our differences, from women all over the world. Right now, I am involved with two online Bible studies. The first one is through Proverbs 31 Ministries and we are doing a book study of Made To Crave by Lysa Terkeurst. The other one is through Women's Bible Cafe and we are actually doing the Beth Moore study, David: A Heart Like His.


As a mom of young children, during the last few years the one type of community I have absolutely LOVED has been my time in MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers). I love getting together with other moms, bi-weekly, and just doing life together. This year's theme is A Beautiful Mess, and its has been so inspiring to hear from the mentor mom's and their various journey's through the mess that parenting can sometimes bring. Because my youngest is now in Kindergarten this is my final year as a MOPS Mom and as sad as I am about that, and so grateful for the friendships I have made, this program is amazing for young moms and the women that come in a role as Mentor Moms.  If you are a young mom, I encourage you to seek out a MOPS group in your area. Check here for more information!


Finally, another favorite way of mine to build community is through iBloom! I have followed the website for a couple years now, and last year became an iBloom Ambassador! I have absolutely loved the encouraging blogs, emails and comments from the amazing women God has introduced me to through iBloom!

Being a WAHM has at times put me in an isolating situation but I am so glad that the Lord has allowed me these ways to connect with women who are following the Lord, and regardless of our life phase, experiences and doctrinal beliefs, we are all one under God and I love that I can go to these women in both the good and and difficult times.

Now it's your turn, tell me how you connect in community with other believers? Are you part of a small group, let me know what you are currently studying? Leave a comment below, I would love to hear from you!


1 comment:

  1. We connect with our church online (SaveTheCowboy) and I stay connected with my sisters and brothers in Christ through Facebook, Twitter and my blogs, and theirs.

    ReplyDelete