Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Time With God as a Mom - It Can Happen!!!



Time spent studying God's Word is something I know I should make priority. I know it, but if I am honest, I don't. Life happens, distractions happen and before I know it, quiet time with God has not happened.

As I prayed about, and thought about, what "One Word" I wanted to apply to my life this year, Discipline was ultimately that word. And when I thought about how I could apply more discipline to my life I knew that one area that badly needed more discipline was my spiritual life. So I  began thinking and praying about how that would look. It's not a magical formula but any means but what follows will be my intentional actions to produce more time with God, despite my journey as a work-at-home-mom and wife.

I have two children, little girls ages five and a half and seven years old. I also have a child care business that I operate week days, making for a busy house hold. When all the children are in care, there are six children under the age of seven. Definitely making it difficult for quiet time to happen through the day. And I am a wife to my amazing husband of 16 years. Definitely busy and in need of regular quiet time/prayer time with God.

Late last year, I had the opportunity to join Courtney Joesph on her launch team for her book, Women Living Well. Since then, her book has been instrumental in helping me become more disciplined. God is using Courtney in a powerful way, and I was so excited when I found out she was doing an online Book Study for her book. This week, she is discussing chapters two and three, which focus on Quiet Time and Prayer Time.

It is my intent to arise a half hour earlier than I have been so that I can spend time with God, praying over my children, husband, myself, my family and requests that I write down in my journal. That will mean getting up at 6AM daily so that I have some intentional time with God first thing in the morning. I had planned to start this practice this week so it was ironic that on today's Women Living Well Online Book Club link up, Courtney had this fantastic quote posted by one of my favorite Bible teachers, John Piper. If that is not a confirmation that I am on the right track, I don't know what is!


As part of my morning routine, I want to get into the habit of reading my Bible first thing in the morning. Right now, my reading is all over the board when it comes to a time. Sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night. I think by having a specific time, I will be more inclined to sit down, block out distractions and let God speak to me through His word and, ultimately, be more open to hearing His voice.

During my Bible reading time in the morning I have the goal to read through the Bible in a year! I have done the Bible in 90 Days, twice actually with Mom's Toolbox, and also had to read through the Bible as a Bible College student almost 20 years ago. If memory serves me, I have read through it now four times. But this time, I am taking my time and really wanting God to teach me what He wants me to learn, versus reading for the sake of reading. I am using the Eat This Book reading plan, (has a great FREE printable) and it allows a comfortable pace of reading, completing three chapters a day plus a chapter from Psalms. As I read during quiet times, I am also using a journal to write down scripture that jumps out to me and my thoughts on said scripture.

I also involve myself with a Ladies Bible study at church, called Women of the Word. Twice a year we have sessions, and we start up again on January 22nd, studying Beth Moore's Sacred Secrets. I also typically involve myself with online Bible studies, currently involved with Women's Bible Cafe studying David by Beth Moore. I love the online relationships I am building and the opportunity to learn with women around the world. I have also used Good Morning Girls and Proverbs 31 Online Bible Studies in the past (and will be using both again soon!) I thrive on Bible Study's and learning from God's word but also from other people, and I have been blessed to be taught by some very amazing women over the years.

So now that you know what I will be doing this year regarding quiet time, prayer and Bible study, I want to hear from you!

What do you do to incorporate quiet time in your daily routine? Are you involved in a regular small group study? Do you use prayer journals? Let me know in the comments! 

Blessings, 

3 comments:

  1. Discipline is exactly right; I was thinking that as I drove to work this morning. Today I had to get up extra early for work, but it was such a blessing to my family that I think I'm going to keep doing it. Keep up the discipline! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH I love hearing how you thrive on Bible studies - me too! We all struggle with discipline but accountability with Bible study groups helps so much. Keep seeking his face!
    Courtney :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for your encouragement! I am working on reading through the Bible for the third time in my Christian life (once in college, once as a single gal right before I got married- my hubby and I did it together,) My one word for 2014 was Redeem- to redeem back time and to use it more wisely! I love your word! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete