Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Not Who I Imagined: A Book Review

About The Book:

Do you feel like you're not good enough for God?
Despite the Christian gospel of unearned grace and unconditional love, too many of us still believe that we don't measure up. We might be able to convince ourselves that God's grace covers our past or ensures our acceptance in the future when we breathe our last and are jettisoned off toward heaven, but what about today? What about this moment?

With compassion and wit, Margot Starbuck asks the question, What if God receives me exactly as I am? She explores the unbounded love of God, showing uncertain followers a God whose face is open, kind, and gracious, accepting us just as we are. Right now.


You can read an excerpt of this book here, in PDF format

About The Author:

Margot Starbuck (MDiv, Princeton Theological Seminary) is the confessions editor for Geez Magazine's Sinner's Corner, and a blogger forRed Letter ChristiansHer.meneuticsGifted for Leadership, and FullFill. The author ofPermission Granted, she also writes forRelevantNeueKyriaMutualityPrism, andMomSense, as well as other print and online publications. She lives in North Carolina.



My Review:

That I am loved by God despite my humanness and the shortcomings that come along with it truly brings me to my knees in adoration. I am in awe everyday that God's Grace is bestowed to me, even though I so do not deserve it. There are days I struggle with truly accepting that He does love me, especially on the "bad days" when I am doubting, angry, show frustration and sin in many other ways. But author Margot Starbuck has done an absolute amazing and beautiful job and reminding me, and anyone else who reads this book, that He does not only love me but accepts me, in all my faults and follies. 

The book brings together personal stories, humor, serious moments, scripture and encouragement with each chapter read and will inspire you from beginning to end. You will also be reminded that God is a god of love, and through her sensitive writing style, the author will remind you of this theme throughout the book. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Not Who I Imagined at your favorite bookseller from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment