Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Parenting the Wholehearted Child: A Book Review

About The Book:

Your kids aren’t perfect. And you don’t have to be either. Are you exhausted from the pressure to be a perfect parent raising perfect children in this imperfect world? Do you ever wonder, "How did these precious children get stuck with a parent like me?" If so, let these grace-drenched pages saturate your heart with God’s unfailing love while also equipping you to be a vessel of God's unconditional love to your children. With authenticity, conviction, and a lively sense of humor, Jeannie guides you on a transformative journey into raising wholehearted - not perfect - children, who live from the freedom found in being wholeheartedly loved (and liked!) by God. Parenting the Wholehearted Child equips you with biblical wisdom and practical ideas to teach your children that they are fully accepted by God, not because of anything they do or don’t do but because of everything Jesus has already done for them. Woven throughout the book is the good news that it is God’s extravagant grace - not your perfect performance - that transforms the hearts of children.

About The Author:

Jeannie Cunnion holds a Master’s degree in Social Work. Her professional background combines counseling, writing, and extensive speaking about parenting and adoption issues for organizations such as Bethany Christian Services and the National Council for Adoption. Jeannie also enjoys blogging on her website (www.jeanniecunnion.com), serving as the Council Co-Chairman at Trinity Church in Greenwich, CT, and leading various parenting courses and Bible studies when she and her husband Mike aren’t cheering on their three boys at one of their sporting events.

My Review:

Parenting the Wholehearted Child came into my life recently and it has completely changed the way I have looked at parenting. As I read through the book I realized how rigid of a parent I have been in such a short time period (my oldest is only seven). The book challenged me, convicted me of how I need to change and provided me with some amazing tips but ultimately the most important take-away I got from reading it was that until I truly accept God's Grace in my life there is no way I will completely show grace to my children when they mess up and sin. This concept hit me like a Mack Truck. Seriously, I was convicted deeply to make some major changes in the way I speak to and with my children, and how I discipline and correct. 

Here are a few quotes that impacted me the most as I read this book:

-While it is important that I model Christlike character for our kids, it's significantly more important that I model for them what God's grace looks like in my life (p. 123)

-Imperfect people cannot create a perfect church. We can only worship a perfect God. (p. 97)

-In the heat of the moment - in the heat of the very real war that is raging for my soul - what I need most is not a plan, I need Jesus (p. 141)

-If we must label our children, let us label them with the words God uses, such as beloved, forgiven, precious, accepted, adored, and loved. (p. 153)

-Giving thanks doesn't change our circumstances; it changes our hearts. It makes space for grace to fill the empty place, for thankfulness to have its rightful place in our hearts (p. 163)

-When we are honest and authentic with our children about our own sin, they will actually begin to understand the power of his forgiveness through our example (p. 182)

-our kids should not obey us out of fear and guilt, because fear and guild do nothing to change the condition of the heart, and they don't reflect the heart of God. (p. 205)

There is seriously so much good to say about this book! Not only is it easy to read and very well written, it is nicely organized and the author shares many personal stories and tips from her life that makes her so relatable. 

I am so ready to move from trying to be a perfect parent and move past rules to being a grace filled parent and have an awesome relationship with my children. 

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Parenting the Wholehearted Child at your favorite Christian Book Retailer from Zondervan

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of BookLook Blogger Program from Thomas Nelson, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

1 comment:

  1. I've been seeing this book around and it had me interested. Thanks for the great review, this has convinced me to pick it up now!

    ReplyDelete