Monday, May 5, 2014

7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess - Month Four!

As you all know, I am working through my own version of Jen Hatmaker's book, 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess and this month is on Waste.

As I read through this chapter, it was clear that the author was looking at three distinct components with regards to waste: Gardening, Recycling and Conservation. My goal through the month of May is to make sure I cover and live out all three areas.

Gardening:

Last year my family and I planted our FIRST EVER garden! We actually did two raised garden beds and planted a plethora of yummy goodness! We ended up getting a very successful harvest and it was fantastic to be able to get lettuce/spinach, radishes, carrots, peas, beans, zucchini, squash, tomatoes and potatoes fresh and feel a sense of pride that we grew our own veggies. It taught our girls the basics of gardening and they loved to help out with the weeding (which with a raised bed was minimal), harvesting and of course, eating!

Beans and Peas from 2013


Potatoes from 2013

This year we are gardening again and adding more great produce to the list. Here is what we are planting:

*Potatoes
*Tomatoes
*Pumpkin
*Corn
*Zucchini
*Squash
*Lettuce and Spinach
*Radishes
*Carrots
*Peas
*Beans
*Bell Peppers
*and a few others :)

I cannot wait to show off the results and also share the results of this amazing garden. Last year, we were able to give quite a bit to friends and our community food bank since we ended up with more than we could use. Also, the garden saved us a ton of month through the winter on buying vegetables as I was able to blanch and freeze quite a bit!

Recycling:

Recycling is something that we already do as our community has a curbside recycling program and this allows us to have NO EXCUSE to not recycle. However, this month I am going to push myself to be even more conscious about what goes into the trash. We are also going to start composting. I am not sure what kind of container we are going to use but we are in the process of researching that. If you all have any links to great ways to start composting, please let me know! You can leave a link here or on the Facebook page!

I use Tupperware to hold my foods that come in cardboard, like cereal, pasta, etc and while the containers are plastic, I am reusing them all the time. I know I need more so I will be on the hunt to get more and get rid of bags, etc in my home. This will help with purchasing less stuff in plastic and cardboard, because I am also going to try to buy more in bulk, so there is also less to throw away. My goal is to have three bags of garbage or less for the whole week! This is realistic and can't wait to see how things go!

Conservation:

During this month, it is my goal to not waste food, to use what we have and thankfully I have a family that loves leftovers, so waste from food so be very minimal at best.

Also, conservation comes from amount of water and energy used, so I am going to challenge myself and my family to not use lights, etc if we don't have to, to turn the water off when brushing teeth (which my husband and I have no issue with, but some gentle reminders will work with the girls), to watch when we are watering the garden or grass (not at peak heat times) and to be careful with the amount of water used for baths, etc. Also we use Contigo Water Bottles for drinking water, juice, etc versus buying bottled juices, or tetra paks, as this cuts down on what is going to waste too. I do not send juice boxes to school but instead the girls have water bottles too.

I was really convicted through reading chapter five of this book. It was a great reminder that we as humans are absolutely responsible for the Earth and all that is in it. It is commanded in God's Word that we are to do so, and Hatmaker helped me understand what it means to be a godly consumer.

QUESTION: What are you doing to be a Godly Consumer and steward of the Earth? Let me know in the comments below or on the Facebook page!

Blessings,

No comments:

Post a Comment