Saturday, May 24, 2014

God Is Just Not Fair: A Book Review

About The Book:


Jennifer Rothschild thoughtfully and honestly asks the six big questions of faith, helping readers pursue answers to their tough questions of faith.
In God Is Just Not Fair, Jennifer Rothschild collides head-on with the six big questions of faith.
While in high school, through a devastating disease, she lost her sight at age fifteen. She found strength in God to overcome and launched a successful ministry of speaking and writing. Then, five years ago, she hit a wall of depression and discontent that shook her faith to the core.
Through a time of wrestling with God, Jennifer came to realize that she not only needed answers but also a comforter and a relationship she could trust. Jennifer shares fresh insights, wisdom, and solid biblical teaching based on what she has learned.
In God Is Just Not Fair readers will discover a healing encounter with God as well as the ability to honestly pursue answers to their questions of faith.
About The Author:
Jennifer Rothschild has written nine books and Bible studies, including the bestsellers Lessons I Learned in the Dark and Self Talk, Soul Talk. She has appeared on Good Morning America, Dr. Phil, and Life Today. She has spoken for Wormen of Faith and Extraordinary Women and is the found of Fresh Grounded Faith events and womensministry.net. She became blind at age fifteen and now helps others walk by faith, not by sight. She and her family live in Missouri.  www.JenniferRothschild.com
My Review:
I have been a God-fearing, Bible Believing Christian for many years, making a decision to follow Christ when I was 13, and grew up in a Christian home. I knew from day one that the choice to follow Christ and allow Him to guide me would not be an easy one but never did I think I would go through what I have as an adult.  From fertility issues to deaths of family to a serious marriage crisis and being diagnosed with cancer (and beating it!) and a chronic health issue (type 2 diabetes), I will be the first to admit that I have on occasions wondered "why?".

Why did I have two sister's die? Why did I have trouble getting pregnant when everyone else around me could get pregnant right away? Why did I get cancer? Why? Why? Why?

So having the opportunity to read and review Jennifer Rothschild's book God Is Just Not Fair was exactly what I needed to read at this moment. Did I mention that all the things I have had happen has occurred in a 10 year period. Yup, some seriously hard, difficult times yet Jesus carried me through it and taught me so much despite my questioning Him with "why"

Rothschild became blind as a teen and when she turned 40 plunged into a struggle with depression. This book is part memoir and part tips for us as we experience tough times. And we will. Scripture tells us we will experience hard times, because of our faith in Jesus Christ, and how we deal with the times when we don't think God is being fair is what Rothschild speaks of in her book. She gets it and walks us through scripture and life experience to remind us that yes life can be hard, it can be ugly but God will carry us and show us that He is in control even when we don't think so.

One quote from the book hit me like a truck, it was exactly what happened to me after being diagnosed with cancer nine years ago:

"If you find yourself on a cross with more questions than answers, don't stop seeking answers. When God doesn't give you an immediate answer, it is so he can grant you something you need more - an intimate connection with your Abba" (p. 116)

Written with a rawness and vulnerability that is so refreshing, you will laugh, cry and generally be encouraged with each word read. A wonderful read for all Christians, as we have all wondered if God is fair at least once in our life, and thankful we know the answer!

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!
BUY IT: You can purchase God Is Just Not Fair online through Amazon. It is also available through your favorite Christian book retailer from Thomas Nelson
***I received a complementary copy of this book, courtesy of BookSneeze and Thomas Nelson, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment