Friday, May 30, 2014

Lost and Found: A Book Review

About The Book:

Don't let your past keep you from a full future.
Like every girl, Sarah Jakes dreamed of a life full of love, laughter, and happy endings. But her dreams changed dramatically when she became pregnant at age thirteen, a reality only compounded by the fact that her father, Bishop T.D. Jakes, was one of the most influential megachurch pastors in the nation. As a teen mom and a high-profile preacher's kid, her road was lonely. She was shunned at school, gossiped about at church. And a few years later, when a fairy-tale marriage ended in a spiral of hurt and rejection, she could have let her pain dictate her future.

Instead, she found herself surrounded by a God she'd given up on, crashing headlong with Him into a destiny she'd never dreamed of. Sarah's captivating story, unflinchingly honest and deeply vulnerable, is a vivid reminder that God can turn even the deepest pain into His perfection.

More than a memoir, Lost and Found offers hope and encouragement. Perhaps you, like Sarah, find yourself wandering the detours of life. Regardless of how lost you feel, you, too, can be found.


You can read an excerpt of Lost and Found here, in PDF format! 

About The Author:

Sarah Jakes oversees the women's ministry at The Potter's House of Dallas, the church led by her parents, Bishop T.D. Jakes and Mrs. Serita Jakes. She regularly blogs at sarahjakes.com and occasionally serves as a TV host on The Potter's Touch. Sarah is a mom of two and lives in the Dallas-Fort Worth area. Learn more about her and her ministry at sarahjakes.com

My Review:

I am well aware of who Bishop T.D. Jakes is, and the ministry that he has, but for some reason I did not put two and two together when requesting to review Lost and Found. I am glad I didn't. I wanted to read the book without a preconceived idea of how the author was raised, what she believed, etc. I am glad I did that in the end.

The book is a very raw, vulnerable, and honest portrayal of the bad choices the author made in her life, that have led her to where she is today. While I enjoyed hearing her story from unplanned pregnancy, to abusive relationship to divorce, and finally to her currently life experience in women's ministry, I was not immediately drawn into the book. I always love books that show a life turned around but had a hard time following book as it seemed a little scattered and disorganized. As well I struggled with the lack of acknowledgement that she turned around because of Jesus. There was not a strong gospel message in this book and as a believer I thought that her first acknowledgement would have been that she only turned around because of Christ. I am glad that she had a ton of support from family and friends but this occurred because of Him, and Him alone. I would like to see, perhaps in a future book, how her experiences have impacted her work with other women.

While I cannot give this book two thumbs up, I will give it three stars.

BUY IT: You can purchase Lost and Found at your favorite bookseller from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment