Friday, June 13, 2014

Finding Spiritual Whitespace: A Book Review

About The Book:

Move beyond Surviving to a Rejuvenating Place of Soul Rest
How many of us find ourselves running on empty with no time for rest, no time for ourselves, no time for God?  

Bonnie Gray knows what that's like. On the brink of fulfilling a lifelong dream, she saw her plans shatter into a journey through painful memories and anxiety. In her search for answers, she made an important discovery: we all need spiritual whitespace.

Whitespace.
 It's the space on a page left unmarked. Untouched. Whitespace makes art beautiful. It gives the eye a place to rest. Just like beautiful art, our souls need balance and beauty.      
With heartbreaking honesty, Bonnie guides you to discover a better story for yourself, one that feeds your soul and makes room for rest. Infused with biblical encouragement and thought-provoking prompts, this book shows us how to create space in the everyday for God, refreshment, and faith--right in the midst of our stress-frayed lives.


You can read an excerpt of this book here, in PDF format.

About The Author:

Bonnie Gray is the soulful writer behind faithbarista.com, serving up shots of faith for the daily grind. Her work is featured on DaySpring (in)courage and nationally syndicated on Crosswalk.com. After graduating from UCLA, Bonnie served as a missionary, ministry entrepreneur, and Silicon Valley high-tech professional. She lives in Northern California with her husband, Eric, and their two sons.

My Review:

When a book has a forward written by one of your favorite bloggers, Jon Acuff, and has endorsements from favorite authors and bloggers, you know that has the potential of being an amazing read. And this was exactly the case with Finding Spiritual Whitespace by Bonnie Gray.

The book will grip your emotions and bring you to a place that you will reflect on your past, as you deal with the present and how you will respond to life for the future. It was not an easy read at times, reading out the author's childhood trauma however, the practical advice given throughout was worth reading the tough stuff.

As a member of the launch team for the book, I did not know what to expect of the book, despite the amazing reviews I had read and the endorsements from folks like Sarah Mae, Ann Voskamp and Holley Gerth, among others. This book has exceeded all my expectations. While I have not dealt with PTSD, I do know many people in my life that have, and will absolutely encourage them to read this book. Not only is it a wonderful one to read, but included in the book are many opportunities to journal and work through your trials and life experiences to create your own whitespace moments. 

Here are a few quotes from the book that resonated deeply with me:

"Whitespace signifies a space for a story...my soul was designed for spiritual rest: spiritual whitespace" (p.31)

"finding your whitespace is daring to discover the placed in your heart that are virgin, tender, soft, untraveled, wounded, or broken - so Jesus can make those place yours and his" (p. 32)

"Quiet signifies intimacy with you is important to Jesus. Jesus is the Intimate One who cares about your burdens. Jesus loves us when we feel alone. Jesus is the companion with courage to walk with us in the quiet." (p. 145)

"sometimes we can't rest until we look at why our heart feels torn. We have to choose a living story. Jesus is our companion for this journey. He understands what it's like to feel torn. He can travel torn with us today. You and I were destined to journey off script. To walk with Jesus by faith into the whitespace of our story - to trace the rainbow through the rain" (p. 193)

This book came to me at a remarkable time in my life at I try to create more quiet time in my life and allow God to teach me through life experiences what He wants me to learn, not what I think I need. It was a great read, and I look forward to digging even deeper this summer, as I take more time to use the journal prompts and allow God to use this book in my heart and life.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Finding Spiritual Whitespace at your favorite local bookseller from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group. It is also available on Amazon.com

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Revell Reads Blogging Program and Baker Publishing Group, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment