Saturday, August 30, 2014

Atlas Girl: A Book Review

About The Book:

Emily Wierenga left home at age eighteen with no intention of ever returning. 

Broken down by organized religion, a childhood battle with anorexia, and her parents' rigidity, she set out to find God somewhere else--anywhere else. Her travels took her across three continents in buses, cars, and planes, across mountains and over deep blue seas.

What she hadn't realized was that her faith was waiting for her the whole time--in the place she least expected it.

Poignant and passionate, Atlas Girl is a deeply personal story of the yearning we all share to be truly known, entirely forgiven, and utterly loved.


You can read an excerpt of Atlas Girl here, in PDF format



About The Author:

Emily T. Wierenga is an award-winning journalist, columnist, artist, author, and blogger at www.emilywierenga.com. She speaks regularly about her journey with anorexia and lives in Alberta, Canada, with her husband, Trenton, and their two sons.

My Review:

Oh my heart....where do I begin to write about a book that has touched the deepest part of me with each word read. Not since reading Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts have I read a book that was so exquisitely written, and impacted me so much.

The book is beautifully written, raw with emotion, and you will shed tears. I know I did. To see the amazing journey that Emily has traveled in her life, and the way God moved in her heart at each step is so relatable to whomever will read this remarkable book. Covering topics of eating disorders, forgiveness, redemption, grace, coming of age and the unconditional love that comes from Jesus, I was so blessed to be a part of the blog tour for this book. A wonderful, yet difficult read (it opened up some feelings that I realized I had yet to completely deal with) it is one that I ABSOLUTELY loved. While I read this book quickly for review purposes, I am absolutely going to go back and read it again to absorb all the nuggets of truth I know God wants to teach me through Emily! 

I also love that Emily Wierenga is an Albertan like me! Also included in the book is a discussion guide, making this book great for book clubs, and even small group studies. 

And to add to that discussion guide, will be a ONLINE BOOK STUDY starting November 3! I will share more details about that as they come available to the blog tour members!

I highly recommend this book and give it a HUGE thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Atlas Girl at your favorite Christian book retailer from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of the Revell Reads Blogger Program and Baker Publishing Group, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***


2 comments:

  1. Wow, Shirley. This review blessed me SO much. Thank you sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sold me Shirley. I've enjoyed Emily on her blog and this review really drew me in. Can't wait to read it. Thanks for putting it on my radar again!

    ReplyDelete