Tuesday, September 23, 2014
Have A Happy Family By Friday: A Book Review
Every member of a family plays a vital role in the health and happiness of the household. Everyone is important, deserves to be treated with love and respect, and needs to know that when they make mistakes they will still be loved unconditionally. And when every member of the family is pulling for each other and on the same team, everybody wins.
Is this kind of family life even possible?
Parenting expert and bestselling author Dr. Kevin Leman says it is, and he's ready to show you exactly how you can make it happen in your family--in just five days. He shows families how to
· communicate honestly and kindly
· prioritize the right things
· maintain great attitudes and behaviors
· determine the role each person plays in the family structure
· make family time count
As always, Dr. Leman's outstanding advice is laced with humor, great stories, and the wisdom that comes from a lifetime of experience.
If you've had it up to here with bickering, hurt feelings, and emotional exhaustion, is just what the doctor ordered.
· You're sick of the word .
· You'd have a coronary if you ever walked into one of your kids' rooms and it was picked up.
· You remember way back when you and your spouse paid attention to each other.
· A good day is when you only send your kids to their room once.
· An exciting evening with your spouse is no yelling and no trips to the ER.
· You'd like to ground your kids for life . . . somewhere else.
· Everybody wants a piece of you, and there's nothing left to give.
· The only family member who listens to you is the dog.
· You spend a lot of your time wishing things were different in your family.
Well, wishes can come true. You can be on your way to a happy family by Friday. Is it really possible? Yes! Embrace the truths and suggestions in this book, practice them, and watch them last a lifetime.
I guarantee it.
You can read an excerpt of Have A Happy Family By Friday here, in PDF format
About The Author:
An internationally known psychologist and humorist, Dr. Kevin Leman has taught and entertained audiences worldwide with his wit and commonsense psychology. The bestselling and award-winning author of ,,,, and has made thousands of house calls through radio and television programs, including ,, Fox's ,, Dr. Bill Bennett's,,CBS's ,James Robison's,CNN, and . He has also served as a contributing family psychologist to .
Dr. Leman and his wife, Sande, live in Arizona and have five children and two grandchildren. Find out more at www.birthorderguy.com
I have been a HUGE fan of Dr. Kevin Leman for many years. I had been using a few of his tips and techniques well before becoming a parent, as part of my career as an early childhood educator. So when I became a parent eight years ago I knew his books would definitely be a part of my personal library. His most recent book, Have A Happy Family By Friday, is one that can been used by all parents, whether those of new borns or teens or even if you are empty nesters. Dr. Kevin Leman has tips for all parents, regardless of your parenting stage.
Have A Happy Family By Friday is FULL of wonderful personal stories from Dr. Leman as well as many of the tips and techniques he is well known for. He uses 10 tips that compile the majority of the book.
The Top 10 Countdown to Having a Happy Family by Friday:
10. Sepend your time on what's important. All else can wait.
9. Put relationships before things.
8. Focus on and encourage what your kids do right rather than eagle-eyeing what they do wrong.
7. Choose your priorities wisely, whith the long term in mind.
6. Be the first to laugh at yourself and create fun.
5. Expect the best and you'll get the best.
4. Don't outsource your children. The best gift you can give - yourself - doesn't cost a dime.
3. Keep your calm even during a crisis.
2. Don't hold grudges. Wipe the slate clean at the end of each day.
1. Remember that the words you choose to use with your loved ones will change their lives.
Aren't these fantastic? I absolutely loved reading this book, and because I read it for a review, I did so very quickly. However, it is one that I have on my To-Read-In-2015 list absolutely. I love that Dr. Leman is so down-to-Earth and he is so funny! I also appreciated the bonus, Secrets of the Birth Order, that allowed me to understand how birth orders can impact your journey as a person and as a parent. Finally the section in the book, Ask Dr. Leman, was FANTASTIC! It is set up like a Monday to Friday question session, and covers all kinds of topics, from how to deal with a child who lies, to sibling fights to sassy mouths and back talking. It was one of my favorite parts of the book and absolutely one of the resources I will look back to for years to come, as my kids are only six and eight years old.
If you haven't read any of Dr. Lemans books, you need to! If you have, I know you will enjoy this one too! A great gift idea for any parent in your life this upcoming holiday season and also a fantastic baby shower gift idea.
I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!
BUY IT: You can purchase Have a Happy Family by Friday at your favorite book retailer from Revell, a division of Baker Publishing Group.
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Baker Publishing Group and Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***