Thursday, November 13, 2014

Look and Live: A Book REview

About The Book:

Only One Addiction Can Set You Free

Matt Papa was a "professional Christian" in full-time ministry, ready and determined to change the world. All the while he was depressed, addicted to the approval of others, and enslaved to sin. But then everything changed. He encountered the glory of God.

All of us live in the tension between where we are and where we ought to be. We try our best to bully our desires into submission. And we all know, this is exhausting.

Are you tired? Stuck? Still fighting the same sin you've been fighting for years? The call in these pages is not to work or to strive, but to lift your eyes. You don't need more willpower. You need a vision of greatness that sweeps you off your feet. You need to see glory.

Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world.

Look and Live.


You can read an excerpt of this book, here, in PDF format
 
About The Author:


Matt Papa is a minister, recording artist, and worship leader based out of Raleigh, North Carolina, where he lives with his wife, Lauren, and three daughters, Paisley, Stella, and Sofi.  He serves on staff as a worship leader at The Summit Church in Durham and is currently finishing a master's degree at Southeastern Seminary.

For over a decade, Matt has been singing, writing, and recording songs that are saturated with God's Word.  To Papa, a song is more than just lyrics and melody - it's a sermon people will remember. Learn more at www.mattpapa.com.


My Review:

With a rawness and honesty that is so encouraging and yet challenging, after reading Look and Live, I am so glad I did.  And it is  book that is now at the top of my list to re-read in 2015. It is about worship, but more than that, it is about what we are worshiping. Is it truly our Lord, or is it other things?  A book, though simply written, is full of deep truths. It will rock the world of whomever chooses to pick it up and not only read it, but allow God to change you through the authors gift of writing.

Here are a few quotes from Look and Live that really resonated with me:

"The poison of idolatry will rot our veins until the glory of the crucified God-man permeates our vision. To live is to behold Him" (p. 17)

"God's sovereignty is a matchless sovereignty" (p. 55)

"We are all always quinting our eyes and zeroing in on something. And that something was always meant to be the excellency and infinite worth of God" (p. 67)

"Don't you want the world under your feet where it belongs? Then turn your idol on its head. Instead of making it the reason you worship, make it a reason you worship" (p. 149)

"Contentment begins when this is embraced: Life is a gift, not a right. I didn't learn to truly enjoy the world by trying everything or achieving everything I wanted, and I will never find contentment by achieving everything I want. I will only be content when I understand what I deserve. What we must begin to understand is that the gospel deconstructs a man before it reconstructs him. First it teaches him he is entitled to nothing, and then it gives him everything" 

(p. 154)

"If our eyes are on His glory - which is primarily His Goodness adn His pursuit of us - and we are being changed into His image, that means we are becoming people who are in pursuit. We go into mission. The glory of the Lord emanates from our lives as we become the missional people of a missional God. And this is terrifying. Because this means God's glory will shine to the world to the degree that I am carrying a cross - to the degree that I am dying to myself. Becoming like Jeus is not merely about gaining greater emotional stability. IT is about learning to die. It is about sacrifice for the good of others. Suffering for the joy of others. In this, God's glory will be seen. " (p. 171)

Seriously this book has blown me away. I have underlined, highlighted and made notes more in this book, than any other in sometime.  It has truly challenged me to look at worship differently and to truly challenge myself to worship my living God and teach others to worship as well.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

 
BUY IT: You can purchase Look and Live at your favorite Christian book retailer from Bethany House, a division of Baker Publishing Group.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Graf-Martin Communications Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment