Saturday, January 17, 2015

Chasing God: A Book Review

About The Book:

Maybe you’ve never asked the question out loud, but you’ve wondered. You do the things that look good on paper: read your Bible, pray, attend study groups and go to church on Sundays.

But you aren’t convinced you really know Him.

Angie Smith understands, because she had run circles around the same paths searching for Him, frustrated at her lack of progress. And she probably would have continued to do so had it not been for one realization that changed everything.

She wasn’t following God; she was trying to catch up with Him. 

And without realizing it, you may be as well.

It’s a distinction that affects every aspect of our lives with Christ, and it begins with learning where we’ve relied more on man’s explanation of God than God Himself.

So many requirements, so many rules, and so much guilt where there is supposed to be freedom. It’s the reason you wonder if you’ve measured up, and the nagging voice that tells you you’re a failure as a Christian.

Three simple words changed everything for Angie, and she believes they can do the same for you.

Stop chasing God.

About The Author:

 Angie Smith is the wife of Todd Smith (lead singer of Dove Award-winning group Selah) and author of Chasing God, I Will Carry You, What Women Fear, and Mended. She also has written two children’s books, For Such A Time As This and Audrey Bunny. Along with being an accomplished writer, Angie speaks to and encourages thousands of women each year. She lives with her husband and daughters in Nashville, TN.

My Review:

Oh this book had a HUGE impact on my heart.

 I read it at a time when I was trying to think about what my focus for my life should be in 2015. I had played through various themes that I wanted but nothing resonated until after reading Chasing God. My word for 2015 is Intentional, and that was a theme that I felt Angie Smith was writing about in her book.  I especially loved the points that she made about being intentional about quiet time and really getting to know God again. Angie Smith did a wonderful job at encouraging us, and showing us, how to stop chasing and start following God.

It was a great book, easy to read, and I loved the conversational manner in which the author wrote.

Here are a few quotes that especially impacted me:

-As God reveals Himesel, we can't help but see who we are in light of Him (p.63)

- God came to us wrapped in flesh, choosing humility from the stable to the cross, and it is humility that ushers us into His holiness and beckons us to follow the well-worn path traveled by the saints before us. (p. 70)

-Salvation isn’t about sets of words. It’s an attitude of the heart. The words have no power in and of themselves; it’s not a formula we have to perfect in order to be accepted.

- The true understanding of our own depravity isn’t a punishment—it’s an opportunity to understand the value of the gift

- What He has chosen not to reveal to me is inconsequential when compared to what He has promised me.

This was a great read, that I am sure to pick up and read again in the future!

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Chasing God at your favorite bookseller from B&H Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of B & H Publishing, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment