Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Girl at the End of the World: A Book Review

About The Book:

I was raised in a homegrown, fundamentalist Christian group—which is just a shorthand way of saying I’m classically trained in apocalyptic stockpiling, street preaching, and the King James Version of the Bible. I know hundreds of obscure nineteenth-century hymns by heart and have such razor sharp “modesty vision” that I can spot a miniskirt a mile away.

Verily, verily I say unto thee, none of these highly specialized skills ever got me a job, but at least I’m all set for the end of the world. Selah.

A story of mind control, the Apocalypse, and modest attire.
 Elizabeth Esther grew up in love with Jesus but in fear of daily spankings (to “break her will”). Trained in her family-run church to confess sins real and imagined, she knew her parents loved her and God probably hated her. Not until she was grown and married did she find the courage to attempt the unthinkable. 

To leave.

In her memoir, readers will recognize questions every believer faces: When is spiritual zeal a gift, and when is it a trap? What happens when a pastor holds unchecked sway over his followers? And how can we leave behind the harm inflicted in the name of God without losing God in the process?
By turns hilarious and heartbreaking, Girl at the End of the World is a story of the lingering effects of spiritual abuse and the growing hope that God can still be good when His people fail. 

Includes reading group discussion guide and interview with the author

You can read an excerpt here.

About The Author:

 Elizabeth Esther is a popular blogger and advocate who has appeared on shows such as Fox News and Anderson Cooper Live. Elizabeth and her husband, Matthew, live with their five children in Santa Ana, California.

My Review:

 I have been reading Elizabeth Esther's blog for some time now, and she always writes something that makes me think.  So when the opportunity arose to read her debut book, Girl at the End of the World, I knew it would be a worthwhile read. I was right.

Elizabeth always writes with honesty and with a rawness that is so genuine. She writes from the heart, both in this book and on her blog. I may not always agree with everything she writes (mostly because we are coming from two different theological backgrounds), and I don't need to. The journey that she shares is one of heartache, survival, renewal, redemption and grace. Making the choice to leave behind all you know, because you know it's wrong, is something that would be difficult for most people. Elizabeth shares her struggle and does not mince words. My heart broke for her as she shared the journey of cult living, abuse, leaving, forgiveness and ultimately dealing, and living with PTSD. Her story gives hope to so many and it is my prayer that this book will be placed in the hands and lives who need it the most...those who have left fundamentalist cults and feel as if they have no hope for the future. They do and Elizabeth is a great example of rising above and speaking out against abuse in the church. 

The book was a great read, while difficult at times. I did need to read it in sections due to the emotions that I found myself experiencing as I read, but that shows just how raw this read was. It is a book that most will enjoy. It is well written, easy to read and engaging overall.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Girl At The End of The World online through Amazon

***I received a complimentary electronic copy of this book, courtesy of Blogging For Books Blogger Program and Crown Publishing Group, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

 

No comments:

Post a Comment