Sunday, January 11, 2015

The Cure for the "Perfect" Life: A Book Review

About The Book:

Are you crumbling under the burden of perfection?

You know the expectations are unreasonable  - even unreachable. And when everyone else seems more together than you, where do you turn for help?

Meet Kathi, a disguised perfectionist always looking to put everyone else's needs above her own, and Cheri, a formerly confused and exhausted poster girl for playing it safe. They've struggled just like you - and found the cure. With unabashed empathy and humor, they invite you to take part of their rebellion against perfection. Step-by-step they'll teach you how to challenge and change unhealthy beliefs. As they free you from always seeking more or needing the approval of others, you'll discover a new, braver way of living. At last, you'll exchange outdated views of who you should be for a clear vision of who you are in Christ.

The truth is you don't have to be perfect. You just have to be brave enough to read this book.

You can read an excerpt of The Cure for the "Perfect" Life here, in PDF format


About The Author:

Kathi Lipp is a busy conferences and retreat speaker and the author of several books, including The Husband Project and The Get Yourself Organized Project. She and her husband, Roger, live in California and are the parents of four young adults.

Cheri Gregory spends her weekdays teaching teens and weekends speaking at women's retreats. She's been married to her college sweetheart, Daniel, for 25 years. The Gregorys and their college-age kids, Annemarie and Jonathon, live in California.

My Review:

Kathi Lipp has been a true treasure to my life in the last couple of years. Not only have I had the pleasure of reading and reviewing most of her books, but we have also had the opportunity to connect on a more personal level via Facebook. She loves women and loves to help them get out of the rat race of perfection and into the world of being who God wants them to be. Free of perfection and full of His love and approval.

Recently, I had the chance to read the book Kathi and Cheri co-wrote together, The Cure for the "Perfect" Life. It was a very important book for me to read in 2014. I will fully admit, I often seek approval from others instead of God, and I am always trying to be perfect, or at the very least make it look like things are perfect. When often, life is so far from that. This book was truly inspiring, encouraging and very much a challenge. And not in a bad way.

I read the book several months ago, and was part of the launch team. However, before writing my review I really needed to let the book reach my soul, to allow God to truly move through the authors and cause big changes in my life. And He so did.

The book is very well written and organized. You will be drawn in from the very first pages. There is a ton of personal stories shared from the authors, done with humor and honesty that is so refreshing. Each chapter includes sections "Tiny Acts of Rebellion" (ways to rebel against perfections) and " Tips for Each Rebel Type". Speaking of types, the authors will go through what they call "Rebel Types" at the beginning of the book: Expressive, Analytic, Driver and Amiable. Without using spoilers, I will leave it up to you to read the book and do the quiz that is included to figure out your type. It was truly enlightening for me to do the quiz and the result was spot on with my personality. When I did the online test to determine my Rebel Type, I came out as a "Driver Rebel". You can do the test in the book, as well as online here.

There are so many wonderful resources, encouragement and challenge within this book that any woman that wants to let go of perfectionism and head towards braver living NEEDS to read this book!

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase The Cure for the "Perfect" Life, here from Amazon.

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of the authors, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment