Sunday, July 5, 2015

Hutterite Diaries: A Blog Tour and Book Review

About The Book:

What would it be like to share all your possessions and live in Christian community?
In Hutterite Diaries, Linda Maendel offers a rare glimpse into the daily routines and communal faith of her people, the Hutterian Brethren. From stories of working together to bring in the fall potato harvest to laugh-out-loud tales of sisterly love laced with revenge, Maendel invites readers into her Bruderhof, or colony, nestled on the prairie of western Canada. Here children and adults work, play, eat, and worship together, crafting a community of goods and living out an alternative to the individualism and consumerism of mainstream society.
Few outsiders know anything about the Hutterites, a Plain Christian group related to the Amish and Mennonites. Maendel’s story invites readers into deeper understanding of this community of faith, calling us to take seriously the example of Jesus and the early church in our daily living.
About The Author:
Linda Maendel is a Hutterite author, blogger, and educator who lives in Elm River Colony outside of Winnipeg, Manitoba.
My Review:
The Hutterite community of Elm River Colony is only a little ways from my home city of Winnipeg, Manitoba. Yet I did not grow up knowing a whole lot about this little community of people who were staunch in their religious beliefs, and kept very much to themselves. The lifestyle of Hutterites and Amish people have been especially intriguing to me in the last 10 years as one of my favorite genres of Christian fiction is Amish fiction. So to read Hutterite Diaries was especially exciting. 
The book was written in such an engaging style, making me feel like I was sitting with the author, and her grandfather in one chapter, and hearing all about the life lived on a Hutterite colony. If you have ever wanted to know about this lifestyle, this is your chance. The book is beautifully written in a style that reminded me of Sarah Bessey and Emily Wierenga, and that is a huge compliment. A wonderful, educational look into the world of Hutterites, and this was especially great for me to read, as I grew up in the Mennonite Brethren faith. I would also love to read the first two books in the Plainspoken series, Called To Be Amish and Chasing The Amish Dream, in the near future. The most interesting thing about this book was the "A Day in the Life of the Author" and the author's answers to FAQs, at the end of the book. 
I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up.
BUY IT: You can purchase Hutterite Diaries online through MennoMedia
***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of LitFuse Publicity Group, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment