Sunday, January 3, 2016

Pedagogical Documentation in Early Childhood: A Book Review

About The Book:

North American educators were first introduced to the idea of pedagogical documentation through work of the preschools of Reggio Emilia, Italy. Canadian and U.S. educators have responded with an eager desire to try the process within their own practices. Nevertheless, producing documentation that is thoughtful, meaningful, and aesthetically pleasing is a challenge. Pedagogical Documentation—filled with examples from the author as well as new and seasoned educators from across North America-will guide you through the process. Pedagogical documentation is an examination of the learning taking place in children and supports reflective practice and decision-making in teachers. Pedagogical documentation is a powerful tool for communicating a child's learning to families. 

Age focus: 3–8. Softbound, 144 pgs. 


About The Author:

Susan Stacey is an early childhood consultant and teacher educator with more than thirty years of experience in the field. Most of her experience has been in lab schools, where she has collaborated with children, teachers, and student teachers and conducted research. She presents widely on emergent curriculum, inquiry-based learning, and pedagogical documentation.

Visit Susan's website at www.suestacey.ca


My Review:

I am very honored that I have this amazing book in my collection of early childhood education resources. It is probably one that I have referenced a ton in the last few months. In the Province I live, we are slowly releasing a curriculum framework that is based on emergent curriculum and the philosophy of Reggio Emilia child care. One of the features of these two philosophies is documentation. So I was very excited to be able to read Pedagogical Documentation in Early Childhood by Susan Stacey as a way to prepare for the new changes coming my way.

The book outlines the importance of documentation in the ECE classroom and how to do it effectively. The book is very well written and includes fantastic photography that correlates to the information given by the author. I am still processing so much of what I have read but I know over the next few months I will be making a ton of changes in how I do documentation, observations and recording of the children and their activities in my family child care program.This is a valuable resource that all ECE programs should have in their program libraries.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase Pedagogical Documentation in Early Childhood online through Redleaf Press

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of RedLeaf Press, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment