Tuesday, March 15, 2016

75 Masterpieces Every Christian Should Know: A Book Review

About The Book:

Great art captivates us. Great artists fascinate us.
Some of the greatest artists have taken their inspiration from their faith. Now you can discover the stories behind seventy-five masterpieces of art, literature, music, and film--and the artists who created them. From the Roman catacombs to Rembrandt, from Bach to U2, from John Bunyan to Frederick Buechner, author and historian Terry Glaspey unveils the absorbing true stories behind these masterpieces and shares the faith-filled details you might have missed.



You can read an excerpt of this book here, online through PDF format

About The Author:

Terry Glaspey (MA, University of Oregon) is an avid student of intellectual and cultural history who lectures on issues related to the relationship between art and faith. He is the author of several books, including ECPA Gold Medallion finalist Not a Tame Lion and The Book Lover's Guide to Great Reading. Glaspey has served on the board of directors for The Society of Research and Education on Church History (SEARCH) and lives in Eugene, Oregon.

My Review:

Before I get too far into my review, I first want to say there are a few pieces of art that are personal favorites (A Starry Night by Van Gogh and The Celing at the Sistene Chapel) and I was so excited to see them in this book. This book is absolutely stunning in a few ways. First, the photography of the various pieces studies are beautiful. And second, it covers so many wonderful pieces of fine art, music, literature and film. I loved learning more about each piece the author included and I even learned a few new things about some of my favorite pieces. 

The book is very nicely organized, concise and skillfully written and would make an excellent addition to any library. A very lovely book that I will treasure for a long time to come.

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!

BUY IT: You can purchase 75 Masterpieces Every Christian Should Know at your favorite Christian book retailer from Baker Books, a division of Baker Publishing Group

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of Graf-Martin Communication Inc., for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own, and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment