Friday, March 25, 2016

Hoodwinked: A Book Review

About The Book:

Moms have been hoodwinked—tricked into believing lies that keep them from not only enjoying motherhood, but forging friendships with other moms who might tackle the tasks of motherhood differently. Myths such as “Mothering is natural, easy, and instinctive” cause moms to feel like failures if they have questions or apprehensions in raising their kids. Operating from the premise that “The way I mother is the right (and only) way” puts up fences between moms instead of building bridges of encouragement between them. Lies such as “I am my child’s choices” tempt moms to mistakenly believe that if their child makes a wrong choice then they, in turn, must be a bad mom.
In their encouraging “we’ve been there” style, Karen Ehman and Ruth Schwenk enable mothers to:
  • Identify the ten myths of motherhood our current culture perpetuates
  • Replace the lies with the truth of what God says in the Bible about mothering
  • Acquire practical tools to help them form new and improved thought patterns and healthy behaviors
  • Forge healthy, supportive relationships with other moms of all ages and stages
  • Confidently embrace the calling of motherhood as they care for their families in their own unique way
 A six-session video Bible study for group or individual use is also available here.

You can read an excerpt of Hoodwinked here.


About The Authors:

Karen Ehman is a Proverbs 31 Ministries speaker, a New York Times best-selling author, and a writer for Encouragement For Today, an online devotional that reaches over one million women daily. She has written seven nine books including KEEP IT SHUT: What to Say, How to Say It & When to Say Nothing at All and LET. IT. GO: How to Stop Running the Show & Start Walking in Faith. Married to her college sweetheart, Todd, and the mother of three, she enjoys antique hunting, cheering for the Detroit Tigers, and feeding the many teens who gather around her kitchen island for a taste of Mama Karen's cooking. Connect with her at www.karenehman.com.

Ruth Schwenk is the creator of TheBetterMom.com, and along with her husband, Patrick, FortheFamily.org. She is a pastor's wife with four energetic kids, a lover of coffee, and dreamer of big dreams. A graduate of Moody Bible Institute, Ruth and her husband have been full-time ministry for over fifteen years.

My Review:

So, if you are at all familiar with my blog, you know that each year I read a couple hundred books. And each year there are also a handful that resonate to my core and hit me between the eyes in their impact. In 2015, one of the books that was incredibly impacting to me as a mom and woman was Hoodwinked by Karen Ehman and Ruth Schwenk. Seriously this book has rocked my world as a mom! 

The ten myths that the authors set forth to de-bunk include:

1. Mothering is Natural, Easy and Instinctive
2. The Way I Mother is the Right (and Only) Way
3. I Am "Just" A Mom
4. Motherhood is all Consuming and All-Fulfilling
5. A Good Mother Can Do It All, All At Once
6. Motherhood Is A Rat Race
7. Motherhood Is The Luck of the Draw
8. Everything Depends on Me
9. I Have To Do It All Right, or My Child Will Turn Out Wrong
10. My Child's Bad Choice Makes Me A Bad Mom

I am sure if you are a mom you have found yourself believing these myths at one time or another. I know I have. After reading this book, I have realized I have put way too much pressure on myself and in many situations it has been definitely resulted in a negative way on my life as a mom, wife and woman! After reading Hoodwinked I have definitley been encouraged and realized that God has walked with me throughout my nine and a half years of being a mom. It has not always been an easy journey, and there have been many tears shed along the way, but there has also been a lot of joyful moments too. This book was a wonderful reminder that I don't have to do it all to be enough. I am enough already with Jesus at my side! This is a must read for all mom's, whatever stage of the journey you are in. The book was very well organized and I loved that both authors included personal stories and lots of encouragement through scripture. There are also several wonderful bonuses at the end of the book to use for personal study. This book would make a fantastic baby shower gift or new baby gift idea!

I highly recommend this book and give it a huge thumbs up!


BUY IT: You can purchase Hoodwinked online through Amazon as well as through your favorite local Christian book retailer from Zondervan

***I received a complimentary copy of this book, courtesy of the authors and publisher, for the purpose of review on this blog. All opinions expressed are my own and I have not been compensated in any other manner***

No comments:

Post a Comment